Focus Valve Cover Pressure

I have a 2001 Focus with a DOHC engine. I was noticing a hydrocarbon fume smell when driving. I disconnected the hose coming off the vave cover and noticed significantly more pressure from this hose than on my other car.
What could cause additional gas flow from the valve covers?

If your PCV valve is stuck closed, or if the PCV system is otherwise restricted, you'll get a lot of pressure in the engine.
Also, if you have a worn out engine, you'll get a lot of blowby. Not exactly sure what hose you removed.
CJB
hiya,
How many miles has the engine done? Has it been serviced? Has it been thrashed, especially when cold?
A compression test is a quick check for major snags
pottsy wrote:

We see this all the time. The poster probably suspects something major since he has a million miles on it and overheated four times. Plus, his kid probably drives it to high school when it runs. So he posts with a tidbit about pressure in the hose, hoping to elicit a cure that only takes pouring some miracle juice in the oil or clamping the hose tighter or something. He must be careful not to divulge the mileage or service history lest he will have to hear the really bad news. All is well. Just keep pouring oil into that baby.
Ok.... the car has 55K miles, owned since new, never been abused, changed oil every 3 K miles, hose is coming out of the valve cover, checked the PCV valve already...clean and open; already performed compression check and all cylinders good and even. Now any ideas??????

Chris Goodman wrote:

engine would almost blow your hand away from the oil filler hole. They were like that when brand new. What you are seeing could be normal.