ford escort starter short

I am having weird problems with my ford escort. My car isnt starting so i was testing the starter and solenoid. Whenever i connect the main starter wire directly to the battery, my entire car shorts out. What is
going on?

You either have a poor ground from batt to frame/engine, or the starter is shot
you pay..DEAL with it!
joemik wrote:

My Escort's starter also shorted out. I don't know why, but all over the windings was powder from the brushes. Unfortunately cleaning it off with electronic parts wash didn't help, so maybe a winding had shorted.
joemik wrote:

Test the starter operation using the starter relay, not a direct connection. It's a lot easier and it may help you to pinpoint your problem. Use a remote starter switch or some heavy duty test leads. Otherwise make sure your grounds and starter connections are clean.