Ford Expedition Transmission

I have 1997 Ford Expedition and my transmission is acting real strange. My vehicle will only go into reverse, I cant go into drive, low, 1st, 2nd etc..
When I visited a transmission shop a real nice gent offered me a deal: 1. Converter 2. Soleniod Pack 3. Shift Kit 4. Labor
For $1700...Please excuse my ignorance to cars, but Is this a god deal?
KK
On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 19:13:09 -0700 (PDT), kali kid

Seems a little high to me but not too bad. I figure a GOOD rebuild at an independent shop will cost about $1400 on most American cars. And that probably would not include your item 2 and/or 3. What kind of warranty is he offering? Should be 2 years and ideally thru a national network in case it breaks when you are out of town.
since a remanufactured trans is close to $4000, that is a very low price, and i bet they are only going to replace what is broken in the trans, not rebuild the the trans