I'm angry at Ford!

Page 2 of 5
jimz466, guess what. I was a service representative for hyundai. Glad i'm not any more. Hyundai always says no to customer complaints. Your 10 year warranty is on powertrain. Congratulations. That is engine and transmission
only. NOT the electronics that control any of it. Soon as your warranty is up, your transmission controller is going to fail, and your )2 sensors will crap out. Trust me. Hyundai's all last until the 3 year comprehensive warranty ends.
One example is a customer complained to the dealer about check engine light on. One week after comprehensive warranty was up. And they were under mileage still. O2 sensor gone in a Sonata! 15 minutes to install Sensor cost $95. Corporate mandate is NO! Customer pay. Tranny controllers on all models, Piece of crap. Ya, there huge because the spend no money on any customer.

and
are
1989
miles.
with
Hell,
but
ago.
how
it's
we're
wife
cute
has
warranty. At

of
button and

order
again,
were
it
locked
includes
for
results

As an ex-service rep, I'm sure you know the basic warranty is actually 60 months or 60,000 miles. The roadside assistance is 60 months unlimited milage. And, as you said, powertrain is 10 year or 100,000 miles for the original owner. And yes, I understand the drivetrain warranty as it is written with very specific components. ENGINE: cylinder block/heads and all internal parts, manifolds,timing gears and belt,timing cover,gaskets and seals, oil pump, water pump, flywheel, oil pan assembly and rocker cover and engine mounts. TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE:Casr and all internal parts,axle shafts(front), constant velocity joints,front hub bearings,seals an gaskets,torque converter and converter housing and clutch cover and housing.
I can't count the number of 2.3 liter Ford Tempo's I've worked on that had a broken piston, although the last one was about 2 years ago for a friend and it was a 1994. Don't do side work any more. Did Ford have a warranty to cover it? Sure they did, if you chose to pay an extra $1800 when you bought the car.
So, going by your experience with being a service rep, I should expect my wife's car to puke completely 2,000 miles from now, as I pass the 60,000 mile mark? Of course, puking after a 60 month 60,000 mile warranty is better than puking after a 36 month 36,000 mile warranty, isn't it?

very
water
constant
it
I cant remember a time in thirty years I found a broken 2.3 Tempo/Topaz piston. Not a common problem.

Oh, that explains it...............

Power train warranty changed over the years. 12/12 6/60 depends on the year.

Again depends on the insurance policy you would purchase ( factory or aftermarket ), you know that thing called an extended warranty ( which is an insurance policy )?.

Maybe because the repair exceeds the value of the car? Went to a salvage yard to find a decent head for my friends car, as the combustion chamber and valve seats were pretty well beaten up by the broken upper ring land. The piston was actually eaten away down to the oil ring. Guess what? First head I pulled the same exact cylinder had a broken piston and the head was worse than the one I was trying to replace. Didn't like any of the others at that yard, so I went to one a little farther away, but owned by my parent company Commercail Metals (stock CMC, howaboutthatforaplug::check it out up 250% in about the last 12 months). Found a car with a very recently rebuilt engine. Pulled the head and it was practically new. Cost me 50 bucks. Looked like the engine had been replaced, but the trans wasn't properly bolted back on. (I'm guessing) the trans and engine had fallen apart where it bolts together. Maybe the majority of the ones that fail like this get junked, unless you happen to know someone who does it for a hobby and won't pack it in your ass with a 4 digit bill. I did my friends car 2 years ago for parts cost plus $300. Towed to my house on a Friday morning and my friend drove it home on Monday. It's still being driven every day. Wonder what it would have cost at a dealer? Or would they have just quoted a price for a new engine?
And out of curiosity, what do you mean by the "that explains it" comment about me no longer doing side work? I stopped doing sidework because I felt like doing other things with my free time. No need to include comments meant to be derogatory. You don't know me and I don't know you. I mostly lurk to read and learn, but I notice you always have something to say about just about everything. My experience does not encompass everything in the world. But remember, neither does yours. I know for fact that there are people out there who know more than me. Maybe you need a reality check, because there are people out there that know more than you also.

Ah....no.
You mean junk yard.

was
Really? Did it run to your "shop" or towed in? Let me guess, the "friend" said it just started running bad.

Give me an address, I'll check your references. Get my drift?

Must not get there stock from the same source?

Fallen apart? Explain.

just
Oh yea, beat that flat rate time, made a killing too!

People who stop doing side work do it for a another reason. Like they do not like working on junk. Do not like working for less than the job is worth, only to name a few.

Really? What have I had to say about hazardous waste? Race relations?

Gee, you are so smart..........

people
You got me there.
Well, Tom, it's good to see you're continuing with your typic acrid responses. Not really providing any positive input. just generally trying to put people down in a roundabout way.
For instance:

If you read closer in the original message I said it was TOWED to my HOUSE on a Friday morning.
Another:

Why the hell would I want to give you my address. Why would I feel the need for you to check anything? Why do you even begin to think anyone needs to justify themselves to you?

What is this babble about? Price is 250% of what it was a year ago. My mistake, that's only a 150% increase.

Sure. Imagine removing all the fasteners that connect the transmission to the engine block. then drive the vehicle. It looked like this: engine/\trans

Again, read a little deeper. ==>Hobby, not a main source of income. Not interested in making a killing. Just tired of seeing people ripped off.

Again read what I wrote: I felt like doing other things with my free time. Is there any need to get specific?

See, you can't resist being abrasive. Which, I'd be willing to bet is why you're here in the first place. You're not here to help or to learn or to share. You appear to be (maybe) one step above the common troll. You're here to make smart ass comments to help yourself feel smart. Every post you make shows it. Say or write what you want. you may even make yourself believe it. Why don't you reread every post you've made just on this thread. You are very abrasive. You obviously have a lot of free time to be on this group. Why don't you try to be a little more helpful and a little less prickly.
Jimz466 wrote:

And what exactly do you do, Mr. expert?

Yup that post was designed to be just as you took it. If you read my first post my comments were short and to the point, nothing to entice any ill words. You got your panties all in a bunch simply because I said that the 2.3 is not known for what you say is a common problem.
Your post 2/17/04 @ 7:57 pm "I can't count the number of 2.3 liter Ford Tempo's I've worked on that had a broken piston, although the last one was about 2 years ago for a friend and it was a 1994. Don't do side work any more. Did Ford have a warranty to cover it? Sure they did, if you chose to pay an extra $1800 when you bought the car."
My post 2/17/04 @ 8:18pm "I cant remember a time in thirty years I found a broken 2.3 Tempo/Topaz piston. Not a common problem."
The fact is, by your own admission, you have not seen that many 2.3 Tempos.I'm sure you can count the numbers on one hand. Very typical of the average back yard mechanic. You work on one maybe two and now you have seen all of them. The fact is you have seen a very small cross section.

for
mistake,

Sorry, forgot some of the reply for this one. Since you asked, here's how it went down as it was told to me: His wife took it in for an oil change. They talked her into doing an engine flush also. Couple days later, it started running badly. Being mechanically declined, he took it back to them to have it checked out, thinking it was probably something they did. He said it was blowing smoke bad enough he couldn't see the cars behind him. They checked it and said there was no way thier service could have caused the problem and told him it had a dead cylinder. He drove it home, during which it had a minor fire from oil blowing out onto the exhaust manifold. Pulled over into a gas station and put the fire out, jumped back in and drove the rest of the way home. (I never said he was the brightest candle out there). Car sat in his yard for almost a year. It came up in discussion one day after he had heard I did some work for another guy at work. The rest is history. Good enough? You want his phone number so you can call him? Go ahead and say yes, because you know I won't give it. And as a matter of fact, this Tempo was the car that actually started me asking about IRCMs.A few months after the piston issue, he had a problem with the car dying. Ended up being a bad IRCM. Do you remember that discussion? About swapping ircms that are not exact code matches? That was fun. Still running though.
I had the broken piston that shot out of the engine housing - at 26k!!!! The car was properly maintained throughout!

I'm sure you probably did. And I'm sure you probably took good care of the car. The fact is it is not a common problem. Most likely your engine suffered an internal coolant leak and hydro-locked the engine causing the damage. It's not common on the 2.3, As I said. I also did not say it can not or has not happened.

transmission
is
will
milage.
and
piston.
mile
than

transmission
is
will
milage.
very
water
constant
and it

I find it pretty odd that you've seen so many Tempo's with broken pistons. My experience has been pretty much the same as Moats's in that I have never seen one. Those 2.3 engines are cheaper than dirt at the salvage yards because they generally outlive the cars. I run into a leaky oil pan or valve cover from time to time but very rarely anything serious. Bob
Bob, that's because we know everything...........

I was a tech at a Ford dealer from 85 to 94 and if they had a problem with pistons I damn sure would have seen it. Tempo's had there share of problems but broken pistons weren't among them. But then you already knew that... lol Bob

i'm
year
warranty
sensors
60
original
with
parts,
pump,
and
had
friend
pistons.
never
valve
I started in the late 70's.

Bob wrote:

My 78 couriers 2.3 eventually flattened a cam lobe and ran like shit. Got another one at the junk yard and made it live until the rest of it self destructed.
Bob

had
pistons.
never
valve
That's a completely different engine than the 2.3 used in a Tempo. Bob Bob

Ok Bob, ya got me on the exaggeration thing. Three. Four if you count the one in the salvage yard when I was looking for a replacement head. Then again, lately, that may actually be more than I can remember. And if TM wants to know why I was getting one from a salvage yard vice buying a rebuilt one, it's because the guy I was doing it for was on a very tight budget. But, being the flat rate/hourly rate/whatever gets the most money rate, maybe he doesn't understand the majority of people don't have a couple K sitting around.
I find it amazing how "people" who don't have any money have the ability after the electricity is turned off to come up with the security deposit and reconnect fee and the entirety of the past due bill. I'll agree with you that many people do not have several K just sitting around, but I doubt the person was as destitute as you are implying. It's also clear you have very little if any understanding of the shop charges.

Ok, Thomas, instead of your typical abrasive response like the above, would you please inform everyone, including clueless me, of how much it would cost for a dealership to repair this issue. 1994 Tempo with a 2.3 liter and a broken piston. Don't forget, the head was trashed also. No cylinderwall damage tho. This way maybe we can learn about "shop charges". Break it down for us. Show us the right answer.