Linclon back fire problem

I have a 94 Lincoln Towncar and after a radiator replacement I have had a problem with the engine back firing at COLD start up. After less than 5 minutes it will run smoothly all day but the power seems lower than I remember. It takes several HOURS, usually over night, for the condition to return. I do not mean winter weather, I mean cold engine.

Two mechanics have told me the mass air sensor was bad according to the computer. However, neither would guarantee this would solve the problem.

I feel they are guessing and tossing MY money at it hoping something will fix it.

Its not the cost but I don't pay for guess work. The Lincoln dealer would replace the sensor for 285.00, but if that didn't fix it, I was stuck with the new sensor and they would TRY something else. One mechanic tried a used mass air sensor with no change in performance.

Yesterday I looked and found one two wire connector on the drivers side, under the power brake, that was unplugged. That seems to have helped. I suspect at the radiator repair time something else was left unconnected.

I'm not a full time mechanic but I have turned a few wrenches in my day. Any suggestions please. Ed in Pittsburgh.

Reply to
Ed

You don't need much guesswork on a modern drivetrain. Pull the trouble codes before doing anything else.

Reply to
Sharon Cooke

First thing *I* would do is check for moisture in the plug wells.

Reply to
F.H.

Have you thought about replacing the coolant temperature sensor? Rich

Reply to
ataylor142

I suspect you have a sensor somewhere very near out of spec limits. The ECM had compensated for it before the radiator repair but, when they removed the radiator, the battery was disconnected . This reset the ECM and it has been thus far unable to fully compensate for the sensors as it had before. "I" would start by getting the stored fault codes. Many parts stores will do this for you free of charge. Now, just because there is a particular code, that does not mean that exact sensor is bad. There may be other codes which would be expected when one effects another. Get the codes and the exact descriptions and post back here. Someone is very likely to have some helpful info. If you are lucky, the guy at the parts store will know how to use his scanner to put the engine into engine running diagnostic mode which may produce even more info on the system. You are correct in not throwing money at it. Also, have you cnosidered cleaning the MAF sensor. It is a simple inexpensive task that you can do yourself for under $10. You will need an anti-tamper torx bit and a aerosol can of good electrical cleaner. The instructions with pictures can be found several places here on the internet.

Good luck

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

[...]

====HI ed - had the same problem. would backfire when cold, but ran fine after warming up.

it was the plastic air intake housing that connect to the throttle body that had gotten harden and some of the plastic had broken out of the housing allowing extra air to come into the throttle body that didn't get sensed by the mass air flow, so it couldn't compensate for it.

got another air intake housing from the junk yard. engine stop backfiring, gas mileage went back up.

hope this helps.

~ curtis

knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional "Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so."

c palmer