Lincoln Zephyr Ashtray Q

How the heck do I remove the ashtray to get behind it? Without a hammer that is? Anyone know?
Thanks!
Brad

I own a 08 MKZ, which is the same car as the Zephyr. I doubt there is enough room for you to fit in back of the ash tray, even if you do get it removed
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"> <DIV>How the heck do I remove the ashtray to get behind it?&nbsp; Without a hammer that is?&nbsp; Anyone know?&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Thanks!</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Brad</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
WOW!!!!! Lincolns have ash trays?!?!?!?!
my 'Stang (msrp $36,000+) doesn't have a lot of little features, like a light in the glove box or interior trunk release (not available at any price).
but I did later order the ash tray/lighter kit..........for $100 I get a plastic can that fits in the beverage holder......and a lighter that no dealer has been able to install yet (requires a special tool they don't have).
guess you have to spend another $10M to get such "luxuries"

My Escape ($25,000) came with the cigar lighter installed, and one of the bakelite ashtrays that fits in the beverage holder. Since I quit smoking years before I bought it, I turned the ashtray into a base for my GPS. Works pretty good, too!
I think when you get to the Lincoln or Cadillac stage, when the ashtray is full, you trade it in. . .LOL!!
SC Tom
to OP: sorry, I don't know how yours is removed.
Yes, yes they do. And the replacement part, from Ford, is $450. That is not a typo. $450 for a Lincoln ashtray. Think I'm kidding, go to Ford and get a replacement cost.
So, I'd rather not have Ford "fix" it. But I'll be damned if I can figure out how to get it out.
Thanks anyway.
Brad

Did you try simply replacing the 2 amp fuse with a twenty amp fuse? ;)

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 08:43:19 GMT, "Brad and Karen"

There aren't too many ways to do it - if it slides out on tracks, you usually have a little thumb latch you press down to allow the ashtray to slide all the way out. Some people use the latch as the snuffer - I wouldn't know, I don't smoke.
It could also be a ball detent - pull just a little harder.
On the van it swivels around 180-degrees rotating on a center post - and when it's all the way open you can pull up the entire ashtray and disengage the bottom swivel post, the bottom tips toward you and out, and you lower it 1/4" to disengage the top post.
There is always a way, and it's not difficult and keeps the tray upright (mostly) and the contents in place for disposal... Once you figure it out.
--<< Bruce >>--

Thanks Bruce. I'll take another shot at it. I don't want to be a total tool and ask a mechanic.
It's a push-thing... the outside of the ashtray lies flush with the dash, and you push it in a bit and it "falls" open. You push it back, you hear a little click and it closes. Well, that's the theory anyway.
BTW, has Ford ever made a decent ashtray. The ashtray on my 93 Mustang is just a joke. The only one that ever worked was on the 80s style cars - in my case an 80 Bronco and 79 Grand Marquis, that you pulled down to expose them. It worked Ford!!! Why'd you f*ck with it?!?!? LOL
Brad

I looked really hard and can't find anything associated with a Zephyr Cigarette Lighter or Ash Tray that should cost you $450.00. Maybe you are trying to buy the whole console? That is almost a $300 part (discount price).
Why not look at:
http://tinyurl.com/6rfvfe or http://tinyurl.com/5gt3f8 or http://tinyurl.com/6s6lql
Ed
My 2008 MKZ cost less than my 2009 Mustang GT convertible, too boot ;)

You could just push the button on the key FOB to open the trunk......
Ed