My Windstar is INSANE

This has got to be the most interesting problem I've ever seen :)
HOT or COLD, Put it in gear and it will drive, idle perfect.
Hot or cold, put in it neutral or park, 'pop' the throttle and it will
stall or start surging between 1 & 3,000 rpm.
Here's the INSANE part. Van up on jack stands. Put tranny in neutral and you get this:
If neither tire is spinning, and pop the throttle it will STALL the engine.
If you hand spin one tire, and pop the throttle, its perfect and won't stall.
BTW, same trick won't work in Park...
To date, I've got new O2 sensors, Mass air flow sensor, Plugs, Wires.
Fuel system test OK, No codes in computer, Throttle position sensor tests perfect, Cleaned the Idle air speed motor, Coolant sensors appear to work. VSS works.
I can Hear the Idle responding to things like Power Steering, A/C, Transmission drag when putting it in gear. It won't stall on its own usually (as long as its in drive, or neutral with a tire spinning..)
Vehicle Data
95 Ford Windstar 3.8 From Hell
Take Care, James Lerch http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm (My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)
Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge
snipped-for-privacy@no.spam.tampabay.rr.com says...

Does it have Traction Control or ABS? If it has ABS, have you tested it?
Also, check the shifter position switch (or whatever the fancy name is.) It may be malfunctioning and getting the computer confused.
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 16:44:04 -0600, Andrew Rossmann

Hi Andrew,
No Traction Control, bu tyes to ABS. I haven't tested the ABS, but I will in the morning. Can ABS effect the engine managment system?

I Looked at it in the OBD-II software on my laptop, and it knows the difference between Park-Nuetral and Drive. I think Its working...
Just to make sure I wasn't going insane, I went out and re-tested the "Spin One wheel" in nuetral observation, and every time I get the same results.
If a wheel is spining, motor spins up fine. If the wheels are stationary, the motor surges between 1 & 3K. Its REALLY FREAKY... :0
I should also mention I replaced the VSS about a year ago. After which it ran fine for 6 month, and only been acting up the last 6 months or so..
Thanks for your time.
Take Care, James Lerch http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm (My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)
Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge
Have you checked for a loose air intake clamp or leak in the air intake? Un-metered air will not set a code.

site)

Hi Thomas,
Yes, I've checked, re-checked, and even starting pulling vacuum lines and plugging them off (Ie Brake Booster, PCV lines)
I also pulled the air box, and all the plumbing between it and the throttle body looking for leaks, no joy... ( I also plugged the line going to the valve cover for fresh air suppply, just in case)
I also ran a graph function on the MAF, it indicates between 7 & 9 grams of air at idle, and climbs accordingly as throttle / rpm changes. I also wathed for any 'transients' and have never seen any with the MAF or the TPS
I also tried the 'old school' trick of waving on un-lit Acetlyene torch around looking for vacuum leaks, nothing reacted...
This damn thing is just going to drive me nuts!
Any chance a bad tranny sensor could cause and fuel managment problem?
Take Care, James Lerch http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm (My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)
Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge

=========================Have you checked the throttle bore for being dirty? Have you already replaced the IAC? Ford idle problems are usually the IAC/dirty bore...

I did, but honestly, who in 'Gawds" name would point the throttle body backwards towards the firewall and consider that a "Good" idea :)
My next current plan of attack is removing the upper intake plenum and give it a thorough cleaning! Hopefully this time in a manner where I can actually SEE what I'm doing!
I'm also hoping that while the plenum is off, I might be able to eyeball some vacuum lines, fuel injectors, and maybe see if I can play with that Vehicle Speed Sensor.
I swear this thing is going to drive me insane (which is really a very short trip lately!