Please Help Someone, Im having problems with my fuel....

Ive got a 1997 Ford Escort with about 100K, and the problem is that SOMETIMES, more likely than not, when i turn the car off, and i come back 5 minutes later the fuel gauge goes down, telling me i just lost gasoline
while the car was off. Im sory if this is hrad to read, but if anybody could help that would really make my day. Thanks

Believe me when I tell you that it's not burning any gas after you turn it off.