poor braking: escort 97

Hello,

I recently drove my wife's car (that I bought about 1 year ago), and I really felt the brakes are terrible. It's a ford escort wagon 1997, 67K. I don't think it was like this when I bought it.

Brought the car to the mechanics, and he is swearing the brakes are OK (he test drove it). Not sure what to do. I am to the point where I am thinking of buying another car, but I would rather get it fixed.

Questions:

- is it fixable ?

master cylinder flush and replace brake fluid re-do the rear brakes

- should I try to change any/all of the above. in which order.

thanks to share your thoughts with me.

fred

Reply to
fred

I dont know if it's fixable. Is it ABS brakes? Disconnect it for a while see if it improves. ?

Try putting in better gripping pads (more $$) and bleeding & replacing the brake fluid first. If it doesn't improve them, check master cylinder.

Reply to
AV

what kind of car are you used to driving??? i normally drive our 93 ford taurus with disc brakes on the front and drums on the back.. and when i dive our 96 contour with disc on all four wheels it is a much better braking job and i feel the way you do about the stopping power on the older car... this might be what yuou are experiencing and there is nothign wrong with the car.....

Reply to
jim

that's a good point: I drive a Gd Marquis, 4 disks, with ABS. so I am not sure. but it really feel very weak. My wife's Escort has front disk and rear drums.

Fred.

Reply to
fred

I own a 97 escort lx sport. I've owned it since it was new. We had braking issues since it was new. (squealing mostly. But noticed they were a bit soft. Had shims put on flushed the system. Finally, at 140k kms decided to put new rotors and pads on. Upgraded to higher quality, after market stuff. What a difference!! I'm thinking it was the crap Ford pads and rotors. Was considering Callipers too but the guy at the performance shop said that it wouldn't make as much of a difference after the high quality rotors and pads. I have to agree. It was an easy do it yourself job too. I did it in about 1.5 hours both fronts. I left the rear alone as they are drums and in good shape. And hey most of your braking power come from your front brakes anyway.

my 2 cents

Drew

Reply to
Mr Mrs Bailey