97 escort exaust

I smell exaust throught the vents the driving my 97 escort. mostly when idleing. I do not smell it as much when the AC is on. Is this a serious problem (like could I get sick from it) or just an annoyance. I bought this car and they suposedly took it through emmisions, but I have no numbers on the results. did they really take it through, or is this some used car scam they are pulling on me? and what could be the problem/soultion.

Reply to
xmirage2kx
97 vehicles do not require emmisions testing in most states.exhaust is not good to be smelling in any amount.have vehicle checked for exhaust leaks.or possible hose off at EGR tube if equipped.
Reply to
clemdog

I smell exaust throught the vents when driving my 97 escort. I smell it mostly when idling, not as much when the AC is on. Is this a serious problem (like could I get sick from it).

This car supposedly passed through emisions. Did they really take it through, or is this some used car scam? and what could be the problem/soultion.

Cars can pass emissions tests with leaking exhausts.

Exhaust smells can lessen during AC operation if the AC is in its recirculation mode, not letting in outside air.

The car has an exhaust leak; could be a blown exhaust manifold gasket, a loose pipe connection, or a hole in the exhaust pipe or muffler.

It is a dangerous condition; you probably won't die from asphyxiation; you are more likely to just become drowsy and drift into a head-on collision with some innocent driver.

Consider your family and fellow citizens. Get it fixed.

Good luck.

Reply to
Rodan

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
I had a similar problem with a Ford Sierra. Fumes kept coming in and i couldnt work out why. What it was in the end was a simple hole in the exhaust. It was on the bit at the top where it goes over the rear axle so i didnt spot it. Replacing it cured the fumes.

Reply to
The Magnum