Power Windows Questios

Hi
I bought a 89 Grand Marquis and the power windows need some help. Both passenger side ones go up and down but not all the time. The drivers window
doesn't move but you can hear the motor run. The drivers side rear worked the other day but now you can hear the motor but no movement. What do I need to check or replace? I know after market motors are available, do they have everything I need or do I need a lifter as well? I'd like to fix these and the front power door locks and have everything working again.
Thanks Richard
I think those window motors have a rebuild kit available - AutoZone should have them. There are nylon parts inside the drive gear that act as a clutch and eventually fail. The kit contains a new gear and inner parts. You should also lubricate everything that moves with the window and check for binding or the new parts will fail too. Power door lock failure is usually due to moisture entering the lock actuator. New exact replacement units are likely still available from Ford/Mercury. There are inexpensive aftermarket actuators available that are used to add power locks to cars, they can be used too but require some creative installation to make work. They are a lot less expensive but are very generic.
Hope this is helpful. PoD

Another power window question... 99 Ford Windstar. Right Front Passenger window inop. Getting electric to the motor but motor must be out. Wiring diagram indicates a circuit breaker on motor. Is this true and is it accesible? Would be nice to reset circuit breaker and lube the thing instead of buying a whole new unit. Anyone know?
If there is a breaker, it's a self-resetting type. Do you notice any indication of the motor trying to operate like lights dimming? I repaired a motor once that had a broken connection near the brushes but most often they fail either due to water inside or overwork from a tight window mechanism...
You might pull the motor and reconnect it to the harness, then work the switch and see...
Good luck!
PoD

Thanks. The self-resetting answers my question. Was looking for the cheap and easy solution... reset cb versus pull and buy the whole mechanism. Thanks!
You want an simple and cheap solution..........
Try slamming the door a couple of times while pushing the up/down button Sometimes that works
If you already have the door panel of, try tapping on it while pushing button
Good luck

One of the dumbest inventions on cars has to be power windows. We have them on a 1988 Celebrity. This car's for sale. A few weeks back a lady came to take a look. She rolled one window partially down. Unfortunately, we didn't catch it in time. There wasn't enough juice left in the battery to roll the window back up. A garbage bag's covering it now. At least she didn't roll it down all the way.
Sincerely, Darren Thornton

You selling this for parts, or as a lawn ornament ? Not many buyers are willing to bring their own battery to drive their "new" car away.
Bill
Thanks for the help guys. It is surprisingly easy to take the door panel off the Ford as compared to my Jeep and others. I can get at the power window mechanism but it involves drilling out rivets to remove it. I'll try the door slam but don't expect it to work as its been inop for a long time. Took some kids fishing in my truck and they couldn't figure out how to lower the "old fashioned" crank window!!
mmmgall wrote:

Before you drill out the rivets in the regulator look closely at the iner door shell for dimples in the metal where the window motor is located. The dimples will be located over the motor mounting bolts. Drill a ~3\8 hole at each dimple then remove the mounting bolts. Smacking the motor may make it work for a while but it will stick again, usually fully down during a rain storm. :)
Thanks a lot Tom! Perhaps I can only replace the motor in this case and not pull the whole assembly out of the door.
New window regulator and electric motor installed. Problem solved!! Removing the old rivets was a real pain.. lots of Dremel tool grinding in restricted places. Reinstalled the unit with bolts, lock washers and locktite thread sealer.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Darren Thornton) wrote in

Oh, yeah...I want that car.
Trying to sell a car with a run down battery... and put a garbage bag on it rather than charge or jump it!\
You are an idiot! But then, "WEB tv" says it all...
Sincerely,
Concensus