Ranger stress crack in windshield

I've got a 08 Ranger that developed a stress crack on the lower center part of the windsheild. It runs more or less horizontal a few inches from the bottom. I went to the local Ford dealer and he claims it
was a rock chip that spread and wants $450 for a replacement. There's no eveidence of a rock chip and i've been the only person that ever drove the vehicle and never heard anything hitting the truck. Has anyone else had a similar problem and did Ford fix it under warrantee? The vehicle is 6 mo old and has 10000 miles on it. TIA.
Terry
Re Ranger stress crack in windshield:

Seems like if it was a rock, there would be some kind of ding on the *outside* of the glass (other than the crack itself) where the rock hit. Does the crack go through the indside and outside of the glass?
wrote

Maybe, maybe not. My SO had a big crack in the window of Her RAV4. She knows a rock caused it (she was driving at the time), but I could never find the crater. Stuff like this is why I have full glass coverage. It is the only insuracne I have that has actually not been a huge money loser. Around here (Raleigh, NC) the dump trucks are constantly dumping rocks on the road.
Ed

That's one of those things Ford just isn't going to fix under warranty. Chance of that cracking like you claim from anything other than a rock is damn unlikely.
It happened to me......another make of car: got it brand new, taking delivery in January cold weather. The first warm day, I went outside and the windshield was cracked from top to bottom.
The dealer was suspicious, but replaced it at no charge to me (they probably made nice money for a warranty repair). It broke again a few weeks later. Dealer replaced it.
When it cracked the third time, the manufacturer sent a factory crew to replace it........don't know what else they did, but I know the dash panel was removed and they acknowledged that the sheetmetal wasn't right, stressing the glass. Looking back, I'm surprised they believed me the first time. And first I ever heard that there were factory repair crews that travel around taking care of weird problems.