Re: 78 Cortina 3.0s Cuts Out

Rusty opined in

It have a tach? Does tach glitch when this happens? {assume M/T, remeber the engine is directly connected to wheels}
Is it rpm/load related or highway speed related?
Do a full ignition tune-up and replace the coil as well, check dist plate and shaft for looseness, play, wobble.
Check for bad spark plug wires. They may have intermittent high resistance and you will get erratic firing, most notably under load. Very likely if the car has been sitting for a long time.
Had it happen on an engine replacement in my 67 Mustang convertible back in 73. The replacement engine had been sitting out in the weather for a while, and while it ran fine otherwise, it missed badly while accelerating. Was pretty scary driving home to NY from RI that way, but a new set of wires eliminated the problem.
Chris Bowne Stonington, CT

Thanks for the advice Chris, I did give a thought to the plug wires but assumed (perhaps mistakenly) that if it was them, they would cause problems continuously; and so ruled them out. But, I'll try a new set, thanks for the help.
Cheers Rusty