Re: Air conditioning in a 1998 Ranger XLT

Unless it has been converted, it's R-12. R-12 is still available, so that's entirely possible. I doubt this is something you can "legally" work on.

CJB

I just purchased a used 1998 Ford Ranger XLT. It has the 4 cylinder > engine, the extend cab, and all of the gizmos I need. > > Anyway, the air conditioner has been problematic. The dealer has repaired > it for free twice already. So far, they've replaced a bunch of parts > around the orfice, and the shraeder valve. Recharge the system, and it > works for a couple of weeks. I'm pretty sure that they've completed their > obligations on the "we owe" statement, and I find it's generally less > hassle to do things myself then to take a car to the garage. > > I'm not very familiar with air conditioning systems, even though I'm > pretty comfortable working on the other sytems in the car. I've replaced > an alternator, and several mufflers recently on my old Ford Tempo. And I > spent a lot of time tinkering with the brakes on the old thing too. > > So, my questions are: > 0. Is there any good info out-there on shade-tree repair of automotive A/C > systems? > > 1. What kind of refrigerant does this machine use? I assume that it's not > freon, since it's after the CFC regulations. But, is there more than one > kind of refrigerant? > > 2. Can I get a can of refrigerant from Wal-Mart and recharge the system > myself? It looks like they come with the necessary tools/adapters. > > 3. Other than putting too much refrigerant in the system, am I likely to > damage my air conditioner by doing this? > > 4. Does tinkering with the system violate any nationwide environmental > regulations? We don't have emissions testing in this part of Virginia, > and it's pretty easy to check the local stuff. > > > Thanks in advance! > -Luke
Reply to
CJB

I doubt that your 98 has R12. It almost certainly has R134. You can get cans for $ 7-8 and a hose with a tap to install it at ANY auto parts store. You might want to get a cheap set of gauges. I saw a set at Checkers for $50. You need a little advice from an AC guy and you should be ok to add refrigerant if thats all it needs.

Reply to
Scott

What wrong with this picture? Dealer throw parts at it and its still not right. If you have a problem, just throwing gas at it is NOT going to solve the problem. If you open up the system, your going to need a vacuum pump and gauges to do anything to it. And that's not even covering proper disposal and legalities of venting refrigerant.

You need to get the real cause of your problem diagnosed. Is it not functioning from lack of refrigerant? Lack of climate control electronic? Leaks due to leaking o rings, evaporator, hoses or compressor seals? The list goes on. What all did the dealer do to it? what are the symptoms? You need to get a gauge set on the high and low side fittings and get some readings and go from there.

BOB

Reply to
BOB URZ