Re: mystery hole (1996 Mustang 4.6L V8) (with links to photos)

"Ronald O. Christian" wrote

Only thing I can think of is the coolant temp sensor, as that's what the guys at http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/eb40228.htm say, even though autozone.com says it should be on the driver's side.
About half-way down the page, or search the page for "cylinder heads", and look at the second picture. Aw, heck, here it is:
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/elements/40228l.gif
Sure looks like your photos.
Does your shop manual have the color code for the sensor's wire, and can you find it (the wire or the sensor)?

guys at

autozone.com
you
Well I was gonna say it looken an awful lot like the right sized hole for a coolant temp sensor when I read this post the other night. I figured I would get blasted again with the "they don't make cars like they used to, and that's a good thing" jargon I seem to be getting lately. In any case, I doubt it's for a coolant temp sensor as he said his idiot light was working.
Cory Dunkle wrote:

does the idiot light work when the engine cools down, like the next day?? or does it show up hot all the time?? if so then its because the wire is off the sending unit......
On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 11:01:28 GMT, "MasterBlaster"

It is on the driver's side. If I flubbed the description, I apologize.

That's it. That's the one.

I've looked with a flashlight, but it might have worked it's way back under the manifold. I'm wondering about the "blind hole" part of the description, and the belief that the 96 didn't have the sensor. Perhaps the hole was meant to be empty on this model? It sure looks like it goes all the way into the water jacket.
Continuing to check. Thanks a lot.
    Ron - http://www.christianfamilywebsite.com http://www.iswizards.com Definition: Nelp: Contraction of "no help". Colloquial: Help messages that are of no help whatsoever. Pretains to help files, messages or documentation that convey no useful information, or pedantically repeat the blindingly obvious.

guys at

autozone.com
you
While the car is cold, pour in water and see if that hole lets water out. Also it is easier to spot a leak when the engine is heating up with the radiator cap on, so presure develops.
Its not recommended to pour cold water into an over-heating engine. The temperature differentials can cause cracks in the heads. If the water has to be added and is admitted slowly, this problem is minimised.
Jason
Your kind of going about your diagnosis backwards. Put the water pump back on, fill the cooling system and pressurize it with out the engine running ( that why you wont "cook" an expensive engine ). While the cooling system is pressurized, you'll see the leak and then know what to do.
That hose you mentioned or the intake front cooling passage ( cracked ) is the most likely failure. The Allan's that are in some threaded holes are put in with thread lock they do not back out. If it did, it should be laying on the floor of the engine valley in plain view.

That short piece of hose does go under the intake and out the back