Re: Open air cleaner ??

A measurable difference on a dyno perhaps.
Just remove the air cleaner and take it out for a spin. My '68 Galaxie with 302 has a little more guts without the air cleaner (snorkle type). I was surprised when after some tuning I got it to spin the tires fairly easily but when I put the air cleaner back on it will only do it when turning. So it does make a difference... Though if my car wasn't right on the verge of being able to spin the wheels I may not have even noticed it.
If you don't care about originality you'd probably do better with one of those open 14" filters, preferably as tall as possible whgile still being able to close the hood, as it's that 90* turn that slows the air down. Depending on how much you want to spend, I believe K&N has a filter in which the top is a filter element too. A normal open element cleaner would look better though, in my opinion. I remember reading a review of different types of air cleaners somewhere, they tested flow and filtration abilities. Try a search on google and you may come up with something.