Re: OT Cheney - Cutting Gas Tax Stupid

Do a search and you will discover it was the tax RATE cuts under Reagan, passed by the Dims in Congress by the way, that lead to the increased revenue in the nineties that led to balanced budgets, not cuts in federal spending.

You forget it was the Carter years and the double digit inflation rates and

18% >
> It makes sense to eliminate as much taxation as possible, then to start >> cutting the entitlement programs to match the tax cuts. Then start >> cutting again and eliminating programs again. Repeat. Tax revenues will >> actually increase due to the economic stimulii tax cuts produce. > > You've fallen for the big con. > > The cut of the top rate from 70% down to 28%, by Reagan, did stimulate the > economy, but it was too far of a cut and Reagan eventually raised taxes, > as did Bush Sr, and Clinton. The result was an eventual balancing of the > budget during the Clinton administration. Bush Sr. can blame his very > minor tax increase on his loss in 1992. > > Just how low do you think taxes should be cut? Do you believe that there a > lower limit where they no longer produce any stimulus? Or do you believe, > along with the neo-cons, that bankrupting the country through massive > deficit spending is the preferred path to take. > > I suggest you read _THE BIG CON_ The True Story of How Washington Got > Hoodwinked and Hijacked by Crackpot Economics, by Jonathan Chait.
Reply to
Mike hunt

In message news:aM2dnbCb4qRy2MzVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net, "Mike hunt" burned some brain cells writing:

DJIA Jan 1977 - 954.37 DJIA Jan 1981 - 947.27

DJIA Jan 2001 - 10,887.40 DJIA Jun 2008 - 12,083.80

Both essentially flat.

Oil Jan 1977 13.90 Oil Jan 1981 38.00

Oil Jan 2001 29.58 Oil Jun 2008 125.54

Almost tripled on Carter's watch. More than quadrupled on Bush 43's.

Dollar Index Jan 1977 107.1214 Dollar Index Jan 1981 96.0263

Dollar Index Jan 2001 103.5074 Dollar Index Jun 2008 71.2499

10% decline for Carter; freefall with historical lows for Bush 43.

Federal Budget FY 1980 $590,900,000,000 Federal Budget FY 2009 $2,853,000,000,000

More than quadrupled from Carter to Bush 43.

National Debt FY 1980 $930,200,000,000 National Debt FY 2007 $9,008,000,000,000

Increased nine-fold from Carter to Bush 43.

Americans killed in Operation Eagle Claw 8 Americans killed in Operation Iraqi Freedom 4,000 and rising

Reply to
Klark Kent

Do credible research, and you will discover the Reagan tax cuts actually reduced government revenue and later led to Reagan raising taxes to correct this. Credible research will also show that the balanced budgets of the late 20th century were due to Clinton raising taxes and restraining spending.

You forget even worse that revenue has tended to increase faster than spending, so periodic tax cuts have been necessary anyway. Carter wanted a 25% cut over 3 years, while Reagan wanted 30%, and in the end Reagan's tax cut was 25%, net of his tax increases.

Again you have your facts wrong. I don't know what Reagan said about Carter, but Carter was hardly the prime cause of the economic woes of the 1970s. The blame lied more with the Middle East oil producers suddenly raising their prices because of our support for Israel and with Nixon's earlier disasterous wage and price controls combined with an inflationary monetary policy. Paul Volcker, the former Federal Reserve chairman, who served during the Carter and Reagan presidencies, said it took 10 years to undo the damage of those controls.

To predict that Carter will be remembered as the worst modern-day President is ridiculous, as long as George W. Bush is not forgotten. Bush is a true tragedy, both to the U.S. and to himself, and was simply unqualified to occupy the Oval Office. He hasn't been just the wrong person for the job but exactly the wrong person for the job.

Reply to
rantonrave

Reply to
Mike hunt

You are entitled to you own opinion, no matter how convoluted your reasoning may be. LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt