OT- Daschle is tax cheat

Jan. 31 (Bloomberg) -- Daschle, 61, paid $128,203 in back taxes and $11,964 in interest on Jan. 2, according to a confidential draft report by the Senate Finance Committee, which must confirm his nomination. The back taxes for 2005, 2006 and 2007 were paid for unreported consulting fees, questionable charitable contributions and a car and driver provided by Leo Hindery Jr., who is a Democratic Party donor and a founder of the private equity firm InterMedia Advisors, the report said.

Reply to
Mark A

What happened to criminal penalties, like tax fraud, which is a felony. He omitted hundreds of thousands in consulting fees from his declared income. How can anyone claim that is a "mistake."

Reply to
Mark A

Will this set a precedence for the rest of we little people?

Reply to
dbu'

Amen bro, amen. Now let the good times roll...

Reply to
dbu'

Here are the details.

Doesn't appear to be anything that IRS would consider criminal. Not blatently hiding income.

Failure to report use of a car (did he get 1099 for it would be my question), another employer screwed up reporting of earnings (do you double check 1099's?) , tried to deduct donation to veteran without going thru proper charity.

Guy making millinon bucks a year and probably paid a million bucks in taxes over those years. So he was off by 10%. No excusing him but certainly not criminal.

Reply to
Art

Compare this to what happened to Ted Stevens of Alaska (a contractor friend of his added a bunch of stuff to his new home construction that Stevens never asked for and therefore didn't pay for). Stevens never received a 1099 for the extra stuff he got. But Stevens was a Republican and Daschle is Democrat, so there is a huge double standard.

I don't know how much Daschle made, but if he made a million bucks it was a bribe. He was only paid for influence peddling.

Reply to
Mark A