Re: Worth it to put a new engine in a Ford Escort 95 wagon?

I'd put a used engine in it. it is a used car, the current engine until is got to drinking water, was a used engine that ran fine?
Used engines ar MUCH cheaper than new/rebuilt. well cared for (change
oil, do not take swimming) should last 200k
chris
( On 20 Jun 2003 12:53:48 -0700, a_beta_jester snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (beta_jester) wrote:

Crispy
Life is hard. Life is harder when you're stupid.
I also got some water in my intake (I think) and threw a rod. Well I threw the rod (or 2 ) about a month later so I don't really know for sure if the two are related.
A Jasper rebuilt engine cost me ~$3950 installed. It's as good as new, maybe better. Doesn't leak or burn oil or anything else bad. I did the fast pass on the Maryland emissions even. Yes, I plan on keeping the car long enough to justify the expense, espically sine the automakers have almost abandoned the whole 2Dr Hatchback concept that I have to have. There are cheaper options out there (look on eBay) but you are taking your chances with having an engine that burns oil, or does other bad things, etc. Most of the Escorts in the junkyard have 120,000 - 150,000 but you might get lucky and find one with a lot less if you look around. I know $4000 sounds like a lot but how long do you have to keep the car to avoid new car payments, etc...
great ... now I find this:
http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?didy&scidQ
specifically what was wrong from this list before I lost the engine (if you care ;)):
Transmission: Delayed engagement on shifts out of Park, 1995-97 Escort, Tracer with 4EAT (97-15-11)
Transmission: Harsh or soft 1-2, 2-3 shift, 1992-95 with 4EAT (94-23-12)
~BJ