Reading odometer in 1993 Ford Taurus

I recently puchased a 1993 Ford Taurus. The odometer has six digits with the last one having black numbers on a white background. I am assuming that this final number is tenths of a mile making the odometer have a maximum distance measurement of 99,999.9. The odometer currently reads 158407. Given the age of the vehicle, I know that it has traveled over 15,840 miles and suspect that it has travelled 115,840 miles.

Am I correct?

Thanks.

Reply to
Evan

Sounds completely logical--and correct. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

More like 215,840.7 miles.

When I traded in our 87 Taurus in 1999, the odometer read 20xxxx when it had 220,xxx,x miles. The car looked like a lot less than 120,xxx.x miles.

I still saw it driving around 2 years later. I wonder if the dealer or someone "fudged" the odometer report or title to sell the car... I was hoping to see someone getting in or out of the car sometime to ask them how many miles (they think) the car had.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

My 1993 Taurus would be 14 model years old... if it has travelled

215,840 miles that would be about 15,000 per year... I thought it was only recently that the annual mileage "rule of thumb" went from 10,000 to 15,000 per year.

The car appears to be in great shape. I've read enough about the potential grief I could be getting into already. I know that my family mechanic is going to have to do some work on it already.

Washington State stops caring about odometer readings after 10 model years on the road -- my title has the word "exempt" for odometer reading.

Reply to
Evan