Road Force Balancing

The low-mileage Dunlop tires on my 2001 Esacpe make a lot of noise. Steers perfectly, can't feel any vibration, no cupping, recent rotation did nothing, but a low vibrating sound is heard when coasting/decelerating.
Local tire store has an expensive machine and wants $25/tire to do a "road force balancing."
Does that sound remotely like a cure?
Thanks for any comments.
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

John Keiser opined in

1. that price is ridiculous - I'd wonder if they'd charge that on a problem tire they sold?
2. Your complaint? No... I dont think it's "bad" tires. The tread design may make another problem more noticable but without any other symptom.....

Now if it had a propshaft I'd say check that. The Mk1 and 2 Granadas had a similar problem with the driveshafts when abused or with big miles. Maybe a CV joint or a driveshaft bearing in the gearbox? Grab the things and see how much play you can get, go on, be rough.
A road force balancing machine is over $17,000 CA.... $25 a tire ain't all that bad...

may
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:26:25 GMT, "John Keiser"

$100.00 Per set to try to fix 4 year old tires?
Gotta ask yourself if you can live with the noise.
If you can't ask if the local tire store can guarantee a fix. If not, that's a lot of money to spend to test a theory.
With 4 year old tires the rubber is getting harder, for safer driving it might be a better bet to just replace noise or not.
Just my $0.02.
The tires are only 2 years old with 15K miles.
Yes, I thought the price ridiculous too. But I'm in Hawaii and competition is sometimes non-existent.
It does sound like a drive shaft imbalance .... but those days are long gone.
I'll tug on the CV and feel for play.
Thanks.
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

John Keiser wrote:

Did you swap the tires front to rear and see if the noise changed?
Bob
-
Yes, I swapped front to back.
I jacked the car and did another "shake" test today. The right side is rock steady but there is some "wobble" on the left. I'm thinking its the bearing. I think the FWD bearing is more than I need to tackle and it should be covered under the ESP anyway. I'll take it in during the week
Thanks for the comments.
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:26:25 GMT, "John Keiser"

Balancing only stops shakes/vibration, it's not going to do anything for noise. It seems like cars have been getting more and more susceptible to tire noise in the last several years. Either the tires are getting noisier or the noise proofing in cars is getting crappier, or both. -- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:
"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789