Dim/Bright Lights on Ford Tempo

I have a 1992 Ford Tempo, the right-side (passenger's) headlight gives the "fa-diddle" trick (that is, it doesn't emit any light) if the lights are on dim. But it shines bright as day if the lights are on bright.

Is this commonly a bulb, or could it be something electrical about the car? The driver's side bulb does fine either way.

LRH

Reply to
Larry R Harrison Jr

Larry R Harrison Jr opined in news:SjWOd.9672$Tt.2823@fed1read05:

Umm... welcome to "cars"!

That's quite normal when one filament burns out - because there are two in the bulb.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I figured so, just wanted to make sure. I had just purchased the 1992 Ford Tempo yesterday, and wanted to make sure. It was an interesting purchase--we got it in tip-top shape, for only $600--AND according to the owner & the mileage reflected on the title, it only had 65,000 miles on it. I'm not so sure of that mileage--I mean, this is a 13 year-old car--but the persons selling it seemed honest & the mileage on the title was per the claim of the person who owned the car PRIOR to the ones we bought it from. Regardless, for $600, even if it was 165,000 miles and not 65,000 miles, you can't complain.

LRH

Reply to
Larry R Harrison Jr

Spent all that money and you got a bad dual filament bulb? You just can't trust people these days...

Matt

Reply to
sleepdog

Yeah, I know--but that just shows how much I know about cars. My wife figured it was a bad bulb and I did too, but the part about it working fine on high-beam but not low-beam threw it a bit. Not much, but a bit.

I think we got a good deal. The only issue it has--which was disclosed--is that the engine makes a clanking sound at idle, it goes away once you give it any gas at all. Not sure what that's about, I started a thread inquiring as to what. I do know the owners said when they had it looked it that it was estimated to cost $140 or so to fix--whatever that issue is.

Reply to
Larry R Harrison Jr

Larry R Harrison Jr opined

But they couldnt tell you what it was?

I would bet driving into the lot of a popular local independent mech.. and raising the hood for him, he would probably tell you in about 10 seconds..

If it's lifter noise on a 2.3 L.. and I bet it is, from the mileage... it was driven on a lot of short trips. This builds up condensate gunk in the engine

If you want to clear it up over time... just use Mobil 1 -NOT OTHER BRAND!- and change filter once between first change. Drive a long trip every week at the minimum

DO NOT DO "engine flush"!!!!!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic