squealing belts

hi. have got a squealing fan belt. anybody know how to stop it. someone told me to put chalk on it but that dont work. thanks

Try replacing it.

Lubrication will not correct the problem. A squealing belt can be caused by several things. The most common are worn or loose belt, or a rotating part that is out of alignment. Look for a bearing going bad, if your car has high mileage. If you had a component changed, look for poor alignment of the part
mike hunt
jim wrote:

Great, solid to the point answer. Today I tip my hat to you.

Yes and my assistance for analyzing his problem was provided at no charge! I get paid big bucks for my advice, normally ;)
mike hunt
"V.B. Merlon" wrote:

Sure. My buddies were saying, what has happened to you, for once you did not write, " go see a Ford Dealer.." to a specific repair question. Others here in this NG also analyze problems at NO CHARGE. Great, keep it up.

someone
Once again, a solid answer.

Thank you, now go see a Ford dealer. ;)
mike hunt
"V.B. Mercon" wrote:

great post!

Which model?
Crayon. If it quits squealing then look for glazing on the belt. If not it's maybe bearing or alignment.