belt squealing

My eclipse 97 has been squealing on and off for a while now. When it first started squealing it would squeal until it would slowly lose power. I have had both a new battery put in and the timing belt ajusted. It's still squealing on and off but hasn't gone dead in a while. I was also having trouble getting it started but since getting the new battery it starts ok as long as I turn the ignition to the accessory key postion first then turn the car on.

Reply to
bbeck

Check all your other belts too mate, one may be worn and is slipping, and i find it most annoying. There's a spray you can buy, but i would rather tighten up any loose belts that deter the annoyance.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

You dont adjust the timing belt. It has an auto tensioner. If you are loosing electrical power and have a squealing belt, replace the belt. If it is still doing it, suspect the alternator bearing.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Over here in Australia, cos of our severe hot climate, the main cause of belt squealing, is slipping belts, re air cond and crank shadt belts. I agree with Noboddy, timing belts are self tensioning, how-ever, slipping belts will cause a squealing noise, and at at times is in the first few minutes of starting the car and in cold weather. On the other hand, here in Queensland, our severe heat, our belts tend to loosen up quicker than a car in a colder climate, and the change over time, is quicker as well.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Peter

Have just finished reading your reply about your new battery it could ber your crank belt is loose and slipping and not fully charging your battery via the alternator. Just a matter of re tensioning the crank belt through the alternator adjuster.

Good luck

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Also check that the crank pulley is not separating into two pieces.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

Eww....good point! That tends to throw belts. Doubt this guy knows what we're talking about.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know