T handle on the trunk lid

Page 1 of 2
I just bought an 09 Focus one of its features puzzles me On the trunk lid is a ''T'' shaped flat material, and from the base of the ''T'' there is a cord, or wire that goes to the locking mechanism.
The ''T'' has a green tint. There is a picture (crude) on the ''T'' showing the trunk lid open, and some one jumping out of the trunk, easily understood that it is a trunk opener for people stuffed in the trunk..
Now! Does anyone know what may have happened to cause Ford Focus to have this trunk release?
Robert

for the same reason. Could it be to prevent a child or adult from getting locked in and possibly resulting in death?

Beggin' your pardon on history. The magnet keeper on the refrigerator door was installed long before children in standard mechanical latched refrigerator door was an issue. It was an issue after the fact for such mechanical latched door refrigerators that were no longer being used. Children were using them as hiding places and for other play toy reasons.
It was because these older refrigerators were replaced, and the older ones kept, that children stuck in such refrigerators became a problem. The newfangled magnetic door was what started that ball rolling, The new one did not fix any trapped child problem.
After that fact, kept newer unused refrigerators don't have that problem. BUT, the magnetic keeper on the refirgerator door wasn't installed for that reason to begin with. Don't re-write history.
--
Dave

CDOs are how we got here.
"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote in

Mechanically latched doors on unused refrigerators were always a problem. The very reason magnetic door closing devices were put on refrigerators was because kids were getting locked inside refrigerators with latching doors and unable to get out and suffocating. Yes most of these were old refrigerators which were empty and attracted children, duh!. A trapped child can get out of a magnetically held door. This was a federally mandated act in case you should want to learn what you are talking about. Better to keep your mouth shut and let everyone thing you might be ignorant rather than opening it and removing all doubt. You should learn the meaning of the word accuracy! As for as history, I doubt you are old enough to remember any.

Youi ignorance of my age and knowledge of past events puts you in the idiot seat. I won't go into details as you have fouled up the entire last 2 sequential replies with unfounded denials of accuracy and twist of truth. You should be a politician, not a a newsgroup participant. I kneel at bended knee at your ability to malign words and corrupt your readers.
--
Dave

CDOs are how we got here.

Possibly/probably. I was hoping that some one had heard the specific reason for this safety device. I forgot to mention in my first post that the manual states that the ''T'' shaped device requires very little exposure to sun light to allow it to be visible inside the trunk.
Curious Robert
Thew reason for the device is simple... if one were to become trapped in the trunk of the car for any reason (I deal with the motoring public every day.... common sense "ain't") the handle is a means of egress...
Ever notice that fire exits are supposed to open "out"?
Do we ever "need" a reason for a safety device?
An automobile trunk without an easy open device is unconscionable - it becomes a tomb or a device that can aid someone in the commision of a crime....
All I can suggest is that you cut the handle off before you stuff your wife into the trunk....

Has nothing to do with the thread's original intent.
There is one "safety" device that I know of one workplace that has in place as a requirement to date. Its a back support device with suspenders. At this workplace, the suspenders are not worn as standard routine. OSHA has no opinion, one way or the other, on this back support device (so does it support the back or not?). The military had such a device in place for 2 years, then removed as a requirement as caused as many accidents (catching on objects)as it was supposed to prevent.
This is in response to the question posed by the reply below about ever needing a reason for a safety device.
--
Dave

CDOs are how we got here.
i thought the real reason for the in-trunk escape handle was so when those stoopid mechanics locked themselves in the trunk while looking for a water leak around the gasket, they could let themselves out, instead of having to trust their fellow mechanics to open it for them from the outside.

Recollections of a bad experience? ;-)
On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 19:03:22 -0600, "Robert Sveinson"

Federal law.
What? You mean it isn't a collaboration or conspiracy by the automotive cabal designed to overinflate the cost of a new car by $1.85?

We'll have to wait for Mr. Hunter to give his expert opinion. ;-)

No time for that.....FMVSS 401 :)
I KNEW IT!!! thank you for confirming what i thought all along!!
now if you don't mind, i have to put my tinfoil hat back on, and hide in by basement bomb shelter before the satellites see me.

Resistance is futile.... you will be assimilated...

No, that's not the case. Government wants us to spend our money, get loans for money we dont have.to spend that as well We're CHOOSING not to. We're in charge.
$1.85, c'mon. They get with the extended warranty, options, etc. big time.
--
Dave

CDOs are how we got here.
ahh but remember, as long as i have my tinfoil hat on, you can't see me mr borg man.

Robert Sveinson wrote:

Mafia purchase discouraged. New ford campaign to keep them in caddies.

Federal law. It is there so that if kids climb in the trunk, they can are more likely to have a pulse and not be decomposing when the trunk is opened.
Jeff