trunk lid help

the runk lid on my 74 standard won't open. the release lever in the glove box seems ok. i did push the lid shut rather hard. noticed a second click when shutting. any ideas how to get it open? do i have to drill out the handle? tia, paul.h.

Reply to
paul horvath

1) get a friend to help you, make him (or her) pull the lever down, and keep pressure on it while... 2) you go out and push the lid down from just above the handle (maybe a foot from the handle) , while tugging the handle outwards (forward) and pulling it up at the same time. May need to quickly PUSH it in (as if you were closing it) to allow the latch mechanism to move more freely. Then try to open it.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

If you try this, then watch your hands/ knuckles on the edge of the bumper. It can *really* hurt. I have to do something like this every couple of months.

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

The trick to not having to do this again, is screw the large penile-like plug up or down until it is adjusted properly (you can pull the lever to release the trunk again). Then, tighten the bolt down on top of the plug. If that bolt it nice and tight, you should be able to go another year or so without having this problem. I suppose a lock washer on top of the bolt might not hurt either. When I first got my Bug home, I noticed mine was jiggling and so lose, that that bolt was about to fall off.

Do not drill a hole, or pry it open. With two people working at it, you can get it open again naturally. ;-)

Reply to
Ray Dios Haque