Tailgate Wiring 96 and 97 Explorer XLT

I needed to replace the tailgate on my 97 Explorer. I found a good one at the junkyard (told that a 96 or 97 would fit). It fit fine, but the wiring harness is slightly different. Same two connectors but the small
connector has three wires installed in it while the mating end in my car has but one. The wiper motor works but the automatic lock function, the upper brake light and the sense that the window's open function do not. Can anyone help me out with a quick wire code/function list for the 96 and 97 explorer XLTs? Thanks.
Phil Sharkey
I don't have the wiring diagram so I can't help there. If the old tailgate hasn't gotten away it might be easier to move the wire harness onto the new gate. (but I think you knew that already).
Bill