Taurus 96 transmission problem!

I just buy a taurus 1996 from acquaintance but few days later I have this problem: when I stop (red light or whatever) I cannot start without to put
the stick on park or reverse & back on drive. what is strange this think don't happen all the time, some every think is find, some day one or two time, some day each time I stop or even when I almost stop. Anyone could tell me what the problem is (I know it is the transmission) but why this come and go & what I could do about. Thank you for any insight.
Jean

It could be a few items other than the transmission itself: The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) may be malfunctioning. The selector switch, which tells the computer what gear you selected, may be faulty.
The most common physical problem with that transmission is the forward clutch. From about '92 to '99, Ford used an aluminum piston, which had a habit of cracking, especially with the 3.8L before '96. When it fails, you cannot go forward. It's usually fatal when it happens, though.
It might be the speed sensor. Not a big part just a job to replace.