Thoughts on 2003 F-150?

My dad is going to need a new vehicle soon. He's leaning towards an F-150. He's looking at one now that had a 5.4, auto, 4x4, XLT, half-cab thingy with rear seat, 6 3/4' bed w/ bedliner. ~25,000 miles (or was that 35,000?) and asking $21,500 IIRC. Anything to look out for with these trucks? How are these new fangled 'mod-motors'? Are they reliable? Is the rest of the truck reliable and solid? Does that seem like a good price for the truck described? Comments? Advice?

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

Cory Dunkle opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Well, i dont know.. let me do some research.. "Too difficult, frustrating, and time consuming to work on..."

- someone over on RAMFM... oh, wait! That was you wasnt it?

LOL

go to

and ask there.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

That's for someone who intends to do any and all work the vehicle may need on his own. I personally can not afford to have someone work on my car, and even so. The times I _have_ had paid a shop to work on it I've been disappointed or frustrated with the quality of work most times. My dad has little interest in working on his own car. I showed him how to do a tune-up but that's about as much as he seems to want to know. For anything other than that he takes it to a shop. For those that aren't into cars as a hobby and can afford to pay others to work on their car, that's good for them, and gives people jobs. For those like myself who can't afford it and would rather do the work themselves to be sure the job gets done right and to our own standards for quality, I'll do it myself.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

If you actually know anything about what your talking about that might be true. But by most of your posts, you know little too nothing, meaning you will be paying some one to work on it.

Reply to
pick one

pick one opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Easy, hoss! ;)

There's some history there.... That from me, as Cory knows is good natured ribbing.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

May or may not be, but damn what he said was true...

Reply to
351CJ

I've owned two Expeditions with the 5.4L Mod Motor, 1 Mustang with the 4.6L Mod Motor, and my mother has had two Grand Marquis with the 4.6L Mod Motors. Here is a list of the problems and repairs:

1) '97 Expeidition - 1 alternator at 85,000 miles; 1 Coil pack at 106,000 miles (probably due to a leaking heater hose). Traded truck at 147,000 miles - was running strong. Used 1 quart of oil in 5000 miles if driven hard. 2) '03 Expedition - No repairs at 64,000 miles. Does make piston slap noises on cold morning cold starts after sitting overnight. Dealer say it is not a problem. I don't like it, but can't really associate it with any problems (no oil usage, mileage same as ever, pulls strong, runs smooth and quiet after first 45 seconds. In fact I test drove three Tundras that all made much more noise on a cold start, so maybe I am being too picky. 3) '01 Mustang - minor oil leak repaired under warranty (manufacturing defect). No other problems, but traded at 40,000 miles (insurance cost with teenageer driver in the household was outrageous) 4) '92 Grand Marquis - no failures, traded at 80,000+ miles 5) '00 Grand Marquis - no failures, still driving with approximately 50,000 miles

My only advice would be to do a cold start on a cold mornig and listen for piston slap. Don't let the guy selling it warm it up before you start it. If it makes the piston slap noises, you might decide it is not a problem, but at least you will know. Comapred to most of the engines in the other vehciles I have owned, the modular motors have been average to slightly better than average. Worst vechile I personally owned was a Toyota (Oh, What a feeling). In comaprison to other vehicles owned by immeadiate family members or close friends, I'd say the mod motors are in the top 25% in terms of reliablility. Certainly much better than the three Toyotas I have been associated with. Far, far better than the VW products (2 VWs, 1 Audi) owned by family members. I'd rate the Honda owned by family members as the most reliable (one set of spark plugs wires for two Honda over 14 years and 180,000 miles). About the only Ford engines more reliable were old Ford 302s and ford 300 sixes (unfortunately no longer available) and the 3.0L OHV Vulcan V-6s. My Father has had good results with the various Rangers he has owned - two 2.9L, one 2.3L, one 3.0L, and one

4.0L over the past 22 years - one ignition module and one radiator covers all the engine related repairs for all those Rangers (approximately 400,000 miles total). We have had bad luck with every Chrysler we ever owned, although the engines weren't the major problem area. We still ahve a 32 year old D600 with a 318. It did have to have a couple of fuel pumps, a head, and new main bearing so that it could limp into the 21th century (with only 100,000 miles). I think it has about reached the end of it useful life, but only becasue the body to falling off from rust. The onyl other vehicles I have personal knowledge of were one Mazada 626 (horrible), a collection of British sprots cars (all horrioble but lovable), a a 4 cylinder Saturn Vue (good - no problems so far at 25k miles).

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

Thanks for the advice and your experiences. I appreciate it.

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle