Thunderbird with a bad Throttle Position Sensor - Please help

I have an 89 thunderbird 3.8l that had a sparadic idle and a check engine light that comes on at a drive idle occasionally. The code indicated a bad TPS. I got a new one and after removal of the old noticed the contact points of the old one was advanced about 45 degrees from the new one, I attempted the install anyway. After restarting, the check engine was on constantly and was at a very low rough idle. I shut it off after a minute, removed the assembly and advanced (wound) the TPS to match the old sensor position and reassembled. The engine started perfectly. But, after a quick test drive the park idle increased to 16K. My question is this...

Does the computer take a little time to adjust to a new sensor and position and in turn was I too quick to advance the sensor... should I have test driven it the first way even though it was running like crap with the check engine light on and the engine would have self adjusted?

thanks in advance for any help... Joe

Reply to
slotlessman

===================== Generaly the TPS will come out of the box ready to install with the throttle at idle. The engine does need time to adjust, a quick drive in city and highway will be fine. The light should be off if all is well. Install the TPS the way it came out of the box if posible and diconnect the battery for a few minutes. If the light returns after you start it up, scan for the codes and start over. If the light is out, take it for a drive and see what happens. If you drive it and the light doesnt come on and it still idles wrong clean the throttle bore and IAC. And then drive it again.....GL

Reply to
Scott

Thanks for your advice... I tried as you requested. Put in the default way, the light remained on even after disconnecting the battery and it is on all the time and has a very low idle even after a 15 minute drive.

Advancing the new sensor too match the old one makes the light disappear immediately and idles perfectly at first but obviously too high of an idle once driven a short way.

Does it make sense that the new sensor would have its contacts retarded 1/8 of a turn? Or should I go and try another one?

Thanks again, Joe

Reply to
slotlessman

Please let me butt in with a question. Have you read the codes after this job? There *might* be something else contributing to the problem. When I put the new TPS on my '84 with throttle body injection, it required a small turn to install. I assumed the small adjustment was to be certain of reading the fully closed throttle position. I suspect your IAC (idle air control thingie at throttle body) might be sticking...

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

Reply to
Thomas Moats

========================

1/8 of a turn is nothing, It a slot right? Sounds like you got it right. ----OK, you have no light now correct? If so all is good with the sensor. Now, I would suggest you turn your attention to the Idle Air Control motor. It is a VERY common problem on Fords. If you have not been messing with the idle stop screw and you have a few bucks, just get a new one. It is also a good idea to check the throttle bore, if black and gooey, clean it with carb cleaner. You can also try to clean the IAC (idle motor), you might get lucky. GL
Reply to
Scott

I went back and got another TPS. Indeed the part I got was incorrect, right box, incorrect part (Autozone). Popped in the new part and it runs great, considering she has 180,000 miles on her. Thanks for everyones advice! Joe

Great car, why Ford killed this model, I will never figure out!

Reply to
slotlessman

====================== Good deal. Looks like Mr. Moats was the "winner" :)

Reply to
Scott

Glad to hear it! Those cars are really fun - the one I occasionally get to play in has a V6 and I'm sure the extra 2 cyl. make it more fun! Happy driving!

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton