Toyota's Farley jumps to Ford to head marketing

Page 2 of 3

Uhm, Not so, every luxury car "requires" "enough power". If you step on it and don't have enough "get up and go", it will not be a "luxury" car, period.

My statement is applicable to the subject of two cars who share the same drivetrain, but one being a luxury brand. Now luxury and power is different. There is what you call a performance luxury sedan. And there are luxury vehicles which are limousines which is only for the passengers luxury and not the drivers.

Well any privately driven "luxury car", "performance luxury sedan" or not absolutely requires "enough power" to effortlessly go and stop otherwise it cannot be a luxury car.

Ok, isn't that what I meant, or are we not on the same boat?. The ES and and the V6 Camry share the same power train, the difference will be on the luxury items on the Lexus. Its true, "luxury" vehicles have that "get up and go" that you refer to. What would you consider enough power to be? Is a 0-60 mph of 6 or 7 secs is fine and anything higher than that is not enough power, thus less luxurious? Or anything faster than a Corolla is good enough for you. Comparing two luxury cars, would the slower car mean that it would be less luxurious than the other?

Basically being quicker and faster than lesser priced/appoined cars. Being able to walk away from the average shitbox comes to mind.

All else being equal, yes!

Well then you have to change your perception. Lexus ES 0-60 is 6.8 secs (lexus.com) Camry V6 6.5 secs by edmunds.com (6.1 by road and track) Quicker is not more luxurious.

Eye of the beholder... If you can't step on the pedal and ditch some punk in a cheap shitbox Camry who is screwing with you on the open road, you are hardly driving around in a luxury car.
I don't have to change my perception, regardless what Toyota and whoever else wants, I don' consider a Lexus a luxury car. A shitbox Camry with more options does not a luxury car make. The German Opel GT coupe was the "poor man's Corvette" and The Lexus is still the "poor man's luxury car".

Well yeah, can't argue with that

The MB E350 have the same 0-60 of the Camry of 6.5 secs. MB is 268Hp Camry is 268Hp. Top speed, I have no idea. No matter what open road, we all abide by the speed limit in the US. The C350 can go from 0-60 in 6.1 secs. Is the C class more luxurious than the E-Class? Oh and the IS350 can do better at 5.3 secs. Is the MB the rich man's luxury car? Then why is it the MB slower. These are numbers and not "eye of the beholder", as you said quicker is more luxurious all thing being equal.

If that is what you feel about the Lexus, its fine with me. Luxury cars have the getup and go, But faster is not necessarily more luxurious.
The thread sure heats up quick ;)
Well, for years Detroit wasn't building cars and the workers lived like CEOs. Now all three are under new management and the workers are heading back to work. I think these top level Toyota managers see what's coming. So they dumped Toyota now.

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 09:56:28 -0400, "C. E. White"

That is what Ford needs.....
An ugly box....
--
Scott in Florida

The tC is neither ugly or boxy. The xA is just ugly. As for the xB - well it is an ugly box.
Ed
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:28:14 -0400, "C. E. White"

Like I said....all Ford needs is an ugly box.... ;-)
--
Scott in Florida

No, they need the guy that was able to convince people to buy ugly boxes. Anybody that could convince people to pay thousands extra for thinly disguised Camrys by calling them a Lexus and convince people to buy xBs should have no problem selling Fusions and Tauri.
Ed
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 12:06:15 -0400, "C. E. White"

Bring back the Escort and Pinto!!!!!!!!!!
....and the Mustang II
--
Scott in Florida

Maybe Farley can re-badge the Taurus again, and call it a "Camry"..........then they'd sell more and send fewer to the car rental limbo.
Scott in Florida wrote:

i'd be happy with the LS brought back ;)

Sure is. That's why they haven't sold any of them, right?

Actually the sales of all Scion models, and particularly the xB, dropped significantly this year (at least through August). Maybe they are back up with the new improved models. However, "odd" looking vehicles tend to have a limited market potential. When the market is sated, sales plunge. I don't know if everyone who wanted a quirky boxy car have bought one yet, but certainly the potential number of new buyers has dropped. Just look at what happened with the PT Cruiser. Initially it sold like crazy, then sales dropped way down. It sells, but not at a super high rate.
Ed
ahhhh
Ford may now take the Toyota marketing ploy.
Create a new brand name.
Market it as an expensive executive brand that stands for luxury and quality, but is lower priced than the real quality German vehicles.
Then just build the same old standard stuff in the same old factorys.
Lexus are not the poormans Mercedes, they are the semi-rich mans Camry!!!!!

LMFAO