u too can measure leakdown in volts

Page 2 of 2

Most consider using a basic lab scope as low tech, lab scopes have been around for how long? If it's not the latest greatest software driven with all kinds of specialized adapters that cost in the thousands it's just not high tech.
Most of the work arounds we come up with in the field are hardly high tech.... though the thought processes to arrive at the solution certainly can be. One tool I use more than ever, lately, is an old headlight with two leads with alligator clips. The PC/ED instructs us to use a DMM to perform tests where the DMM is an inappropriate tool overlooking the need to load the circuit to get a true idea of it's condition.
I'm sure we can all agree that selecting an appropriate test method to get accurate results is more important than doing a "pretty" looking test. If we fix the concern in a timely fashion without shotgunning parts, we've done our jobs.

That's for sure. One of the other problems is proper training. I can not remember a training class that taught the use of voltage drops. Use the term voltage drop to most and you get the deer in the headlamp look.
Basic electrical... Specialty 32 with Ford, IIRC. 90% of the class has trouble with the idea of 12 volts across and open switch and ~ 0 with the switch closed. After working for indys for many, many years, my current employer enticed me to come to work for him. Got my Senior in less than 2 years and I was amazed to find that better than half our basic electrical class were repeat performers... one poor soul was on his 6th try.
Our instructors here are some pretty good guys but some of their students only want paper and any raises the paper may bring.

The amazing thing is it's not a complex concept, yet it's the fastest and most reliable method for finding electrical problems. I take a lot of digs about my 20 foot (-) test lead. We have the same issue with people understanding the relationship of flow vs. pressure in hydraulic systems.
Everyone in the shop is constantly borrowing my "brick"... a scrap of construction 2X4 with a 2 post terminal strip and about 30 feet of paired wire... one red, one black, at the other end, two clips that fit on the battery terminals... colour coding is about as high tech as it gets (but I guess I could paint it, add some warning decals and a handle....). No more searching for a good ground or a convenient source of power.....
Total cost using overpriced Radio Shack goodies.... under $10 CA..... Since electrical/electronic diag time is all MT, I haven't gained a thing (other than more time for good retail FR work) but my retail customers don't pay for me to fart around looking for a good ground.
I wish I could claim the patent rights on this..... I read it somewhere a long time ago and did the old forehead flatten (with the required "DOH!!") since the idea was way to simple to think of....

That's the way it seems to always be. I got the idea of making a 20 foot test lead by attending an electronics seminar a few years back. It was always a pain to check the voltage drop of a ground in the back of a vehicle to the battery. A lot of times it's not that you don't think of it, you do, but you question if it is a good idea or not. One of my most borrowed "tools" is a led light I made for checking hall effect switches, the other is a box of switches and a power supply for checking trailer lights.
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:23:48 -0500, "pick one" <try again!> wrote:

wow your smart i bet you can tell me how a PLC works to rite lmfao U GO GIRL
hurc ast
"pick one" <try again!> wrote:

Because it's not "high tech."
(where did I hear that last?) 8-)
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:05:38 GMT, aarcuda69062

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Bozo makes a post but forgets to push any keys.
What's your next trick?
WOW us, really WOW us.
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:05:38 GMT, aarcuda69062

start hooking up wires i will just make one connection

one at a time

lmfao I call bulcrap on this one lmfao U GO GIRL

lmfao hey thats not a scope lmfao i wouldmonitor fuel trim myuself

llmfao u go girl what shortcommings would that be ?
hurc ast

The list is long and very obvious to anyone who has read at least one of your posts. Bob
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

You asked, I answered. Got a problem with that shit for brains? Try not to get your nose too out of joint when you're proven wrong.

So what. It's a correct answer and it proves you wrong (again).

Good for you. Doesn't change a thing.

Which is why I listed it as "optional" birdbrain.

Fuel trim can be skewed if there is a misfire, and if the engine is over fueling, there is a good chance that it is misfiring. IOWs, you really don't know as much about how an oxygen sensor works as you think you do. Hint, there are SAE papers on the subject, read them before you shoot your mouth off about fuel trims.

The ones that you continually demonstrate.
For instance, how you just responded to the name "Bozo" like a good little trained ape.