What's up with this car?!?

I would really appreciate some help with this problem as we're stumped! We have a 2000 Taurus with a standard 3L engine. For the past couple of weeks there has been smoke coming up from under the hood (on the passenger's side) after making a hard left turn. There appears to be some oil residue on the lower left side of the engine and under the frame towards the front of the car. We are not losing oil and there is none leaking onto the ground. The smoking ONLY occurs with the hard lefts, nothing else. We thought it could be a valve cover gasket, but the areas around the valve covers are clean and dry. Does anybody have an idea? This is driving us nuts!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Twyster

Power steering fluid loss or a slipping power steering belt?

Reply to
sleepdog

I second. Those power steering hoses are notorious for leaks at the crimp fittings. the pressure goes way up on a hard turn and a drip lands on the exhaust. One drip creates a lot of smoke and the hot pipe keeps it from hitting the ground. It won't be long though before the hose will be puking fluid all over the ground. Reach down there under the hose with a dry finger and it will come up with a drop of oil on it I bet.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Was thinking along the same lines, hard turn, pressure spike, exhaust... oh the joy. My old 1990 Escort GT burst the high pressure line after sitting for a few months, shit the bed basically. New line going in soon when I feel like getting dirty again.

Reply to
sleepdog