windstar in park stutters at 4000rpm

99 windstar 120k
replaced drive belt, had van in park. decided to rev up engine to check for squeels. Found that at about 4000rpm the engine started to stutter and
shake. Is this a problem or a rev limiter start to kick in since it was in park?
i made a video on my digital camera but my ftp server is having problems, I'll see if i can post it later

It's the rev limiter. It'll rev higher when it's in gear, but they shut down like half the injectors or plugs to prevent overrevving with no load.
CJB

Ditto. The 3.0 in my Taurus will do the same thing. You can push the pedal down all you want and it just sputters at 4k.
If you must, take it out on an interstate and give it a thrashing if you want to find out what it does at the high end because you won't be able to find out parked.
Calvin