Antifreeze

Hi, 1.8 Lx UK 2000 it has blue antifreeze if I was toppping up does it have to be the make specified in the owners manual or can I use any that's compatible even it's a different colour
Regards

have
If you have the blue (as opposed to the orange) antifreeze you can just add regular ethylene gycol antifreeze to the coolant to bring the strenght up.
However as its now 3 yrs old, you would be wise to drain, flush and refill with fresh coolant (50/50) as the corrosion inhibitors in the blue coolant 'wear out' after around 3 yrs.
Tim..
What's the difference between the blue and orange as it's actually the orange one I made a mistake.
Regards

I'm glad you said that because I was wondering how your 2000 Ford had the old blue coolant when my 2 1999 Fords have the later orange coolant.
To answer you question, the orange coolant doesn't ever need replacing because the corrosion inhibitors don't deteriorate. You should always use the orange coolant when topping up. Never put the blue stuff in.
--
Paul Giverin

British Jet Engine Website
Thank you all. I'm glad I double checked.
Regards
writes

writes

Not quite so Paul. - the red / orange coolant is meant to last 5 years. when it turns brown- its times to change.
Tim..