Antifreeze additive

'94 TBird LX V8, 61K mi., ethylene glycol antifreeze

I've never been much for additives, 'tho I throw a jug of fuel injector cleaner in the tank every so often.

But I don't keep up with automotive stuff.

Guy at the muffler shop sez a Lucas antifreeze additive will prevent water pump wear/failure. He couldn't remember the name of the stuff.

Is an antifreeze additive a good idea? If so, name a good product?

Thx, Puddin'

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Have not tried it but there is a "water wetter" from, I think, STP, which has been supported by trade magazines, and a separate write up indicated that it does aid in cooling. But nothing said about reducing wear or failure of water pump.

There is also a product which I'd have to research the name of, which independent reports say is an outstanding, never needs replacing, coolant. For my car it would run about $65. Still, no mention of preventing wear or failure of the water pump. Although it is warranted to do no harm to the engine.

Snake oil? Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.
Reply to
Spike

Red Line Water Wetter.

Used it in my mustang which had a habit of slowly going towards overheat in traffic, cured that: needle remained right on the money from that point on, also claims additional lubricant, and since that's their primary business....

Read the tech info (requires Adobe reader)

Available at Pep Boys, for one.

Spike wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

That's it. I think I'll give it a try.

Much Thanks, Pudd>Red Line Water Wetter.

Reply to
Puddin' Man

whenever I replace a waterpump in a vehicle, Autozone tries selling me a bottle of stuff you add to the coolant thats supposed to prevent the pump and bearing from premature failure, i dont remember the name of the stuff though

Reply to
Shawn

Whatever they are trying to sell, it won't make any difference to a water pump bearing as long as the seal holds. The lubricant helps lube the ceramic seal which keeps coolant from getting to the shaft bearings. The shaft bearings will probably last as long as the grease remains in them. These lubes do help because many water pump failures are a result of coolant weepage getting to the bearings over time. I have used the anti-corrosion additives which include a water pump lube every year in my own vehicles for years. It is my annecdotal experience that it helps reduce corrosion in the system and reduces the need to flush a cooling system. I have never had a freeze plug rust thru or anything like that. My engines that have been pulled down for overhaul have never exhibited significant corrosion or scaling nor have I ever replaced a radiator because of corrosion or scaling. I did have to replace a couple of Ford heater cores over the years. I only replace the coolant if the system has to be opened for other repairs which has been rare. I routinely run these vehicle over

100k miles. My current F150 is over 200k, the CV over 140K and the Sable over 70k with no problems. Others before well over 200k.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Which did you use? The Red Line Water Wetter? Does it matter which?

Puddin'

Reply to
Puddin' Man

I have used the Prestone and Zerex additives w/o stop leak. NAPA has also had a decent product. I usually dump in a dose every fall when I check the antifreeze protection. I also use alkalinity test strips to check the ph of the coolant as this is one of the key properties to prevent corrosion. If the ph is out of spec and the additive does not correct it pronto, the coolant needs to be flushed and the system checked again in a few days just in case there is a head gasket failure in progress. This may be a headsup for head gasket failure. Again, this is just my experience over a few dozen vehicles that I have owned and operated for personal and business use over the years. I have never used the water wetter type products even though I have a 351CJ that tends to get a bit feverish in traffic sometimes.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Much thanks (again) to Lugnut for very useful info.

Cheers, Pudd>>

Reply to
Puddin' Man