Bizarre central locking problem

Got a Ford Focus LX 1.6 (UK model), first registered in 2000.
I believe there to be a problem with the central locking motor on the drivers side.
The central locking works fine when using the key in the drivers door to lock/unlock everything.
However, when trying to use the remote fob to unlock the car, the drivers door remains locked. All the other doors unlock fine with the remote, just not the drivers.
If I try and lock it using the remote it won't lock at all, you hear the motors fire to lock the car, but then fire again unlocking everything (presumably because the drivers door won't lock).
Anyone else had this problem? Is it just a case of replacing the motor, or is there anything else I should try first?
I have done a cursory google search, but not turned anything up that appears relevant.
Incidentally, as a side issue, I noticed a while back there was a differant problem with the passenger door lock. Although it opens/locks with the remote or using the key on the drivers door. If you use the key on the passenger door it will only lock/unlock that door. Is the system meant to be like that, or could it be an electrical fault?
TIA
--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor

Had this with my 00 W Zetec too.
It's one of two things- either the drivers door motor is knackered, or the multiplug in the hinge area is loose / poorly connected.- check this first.
Unscrew and tighten acouple of times to clean the contacts. If no better- replace the door motor.
Tim..

Many thanks, I'll try the plug. Failing that, it'll be a trip to the local breakers yard this weekend, but it'll still be cheaper than buying new.
Still haven't been able to get my head around the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual.
Incidentally, shouldn't unlocking the passenger door with the key also trigger the central locking or not?
--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor
wrote in message...

Erm, yes i think it should.
tim.

Well having tested out the passenger side it appears to be working and firing the locking mechanism as it should, however the problem with the drivers door persists.
I've found no broken wires and the continuity between the plug at the central locking motor and the plug that connects the door electrics to the rest of the car is fine, I've also found that there is a live current on the relevant wires that fire the unlock, lock and deadbolt functions (not sure about the other four wires, suppose they just go back to some relays or something).
So it looks like a trip to the breakers yard in the morning!
Thanks for your help!
--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor