Check Engine Light-Ford Focus ZTS 2001

My check engine light recently came on right after my fuel light came on (the check engine light came on about 5 miles after the fuel light). I put fuel in the car and the light is still on. As suggested in the
ford manual, I've driven my car "3 drive cycles" (driving on freeways, residential streets, etc). The car seems to be driving okay. I've had the car for about a year with no problems and it has ~52K and it is due for an oil change in a week. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am hesitant to take it in right away as I am in graduate school and do not want to pay for unnecessary diagnostic tests. Thanks!!