Diesel / petrol brake differences

Hi,

My wife has a 2001 focus petrol ghia estate (discs all round + ABS) and a couple of months ago I picked up a 2002 tdci zetec hatch (front discs / rear drums - no ABS). Swapping between the two I've noticed that both the handbrake and footbrake on the petrol are *much* more immediate and therefore feel more positive/reassuring. I get back in my diesel after driving the other and every time feel there is something wrong with it. Local dealer says the brakes are fine.

Any opinions? Is this normal between disc/disc/ABS and disc/drum/no-ABS?

Conversely the clutch on the diesel is *really* sudden, while the petrol is much more progressive, FWIW.

Cheers,

Reply to
Monkeys

Yep, it's the disc/disc disc/drum difference, the ABS shouldn't get activated during usual driving or you need to rethink strongly the way you are using your car.

Reply to
Michael Heiming
[..]

In addition the diesel car is heavier, because of the engine needing more brake "power" to reduce speed.

Reply to
Michael Heiming

Thanks Michael

I will be a bit more comfortable on the MWay now.

Cheers

Reply to
Monkeys