Focus ignition locks.

Page 1 of 2
Had a problem with frozen ignition lock on car. It appears that this is a common problem on 2000-2002 Ford Focus. After about 3 years the lock wears inside and the tumblers fall into the lock space.I had the car towed into a
Ford dealer because the car was just a week out of warranty. Ford refused to cover the cost saying that they had no knowledge of this fault. If you have a North American Ford Focus and the ignition lock is sticking or it is stiff putting the key into the ignition lock, and you are still under warranty you should get the car in for a new ignition lock. I was lucky it only cost me 285$ CND. I have heard that if they drill the lock wrong its a new steering column as well close to 800$ CDN.

This happened to me last summer, also off warranty. Ford as a company and my dealer know full well about this and I am sure your dealer does too, so he is, well, giving out disinformation.
The ignition switch and the fuel sender are probably the two worst components of early Foci, both supplied by outside suppliers (who hopefully have been appropriately disciplined) and fortunately neither are particularly expensive. But a nuisance.
Ford has just issued a 10-year warranty extension on another component (fuel delivery module) and maybe they should have done so on the ignition switch as well, but they have to draw the line somewhere. Nothing's perfect.
Dear Dave,
Don't know. I have had 'frozen ignition' twice now and had to be towed both times. The dealer has repaired each time at no cost because under warranty. However, 2d fix dealer told me there is a "known issue" with the ignition switch and that it is covered by a seperate parts warranty, accordding to dealer. Check your local dealer or place of purchase. (Mine is Wilson Ford Orange)
Mike S.

wears
into
refused
my
hopefully
(fuel
My Ford Dealer refused to cover the ignition lock on my 2001 Focus because the car was just out of its 3 year/60,000km warranty by 10 days - Bummer! With all the problems with this car it will have to be a cold day in hell before I buy anther north American made brand name vehicle. I now call this car the Ford Fuckit, because every time it goes wrong we say fuck it.

wears
into
refused
my
hopefully
(fuel
I think most of us are too easily put off. Go down to the dealers on a Saturday morning and raise hell. You will be amazed at the results. Murray

is
and
he
switch
Yep...a couple weeks after we bought the car, changed out the sticky lock - couldn't even get the key OUT of the ignition cylindar. They replaced it under warrantee.
Just over 1 year from that...can't turn the bloody thing at all and got it replaced. I took it to a regular mechanic 'cause the dealer didn't have any openings for a couple days and I need the car.
Two days after getting back the "fixed" and replaced cylindar...same thing happens and now I have to get it towed again!!! They're replacing it free...but what can I do to keep this from happening yet again...and again and again!!! This should be a recall issue...anyone think that I'd have luck going to the dealer now that I went elsewhere to get it fixed first?
I wouldn't trust my dealer Jack Byrn Ford in Mechanicville, NY as far as I can throw them...seems after I go there to fix one thing, another breaks within a couple weeks.
3rd time a charm? I replaced the cylindar a couple weeks after buying the "used" car. Yeah...it was a great deal even with that.
Now just over a year later, BLAMMO....out of the blue the thing sticks and can't turn. The dealer was closed (Sunday) and I towed to a local garage I trust (I don't trust my dealer much at all - seems every time I fix one thing, another goes wrong shortly after...and they don't fix what I ask them to fix also - Jack Byrne Ford in Mechanicville, NY) so they fixed it right away by replacing the cylindar and the normal stuff.
Two days later, the new cylindar sticks again. Yeah...they are replacing it free (as I would expect) because that part directly from FORD is defective also.
What recourse do I have on this? I can't afford to be both without the car, or to keep having this happen...especially when it's my wife who primarily drives it. I don't need her in the boonies when this happens again either. Obviously Ford is going to have an issue that I went elsewhere to get the repair done, but I can't trust them as far as I can throw them in the first place.
Aside from this, I like the car...but this one thing overall can spoil everything and ruin the "good deal" I actually got on the car.
Anyone got an idea here aside from picketing the dealer or selling the car?
[...]
I have had to have my ignition replaced three times.. today is the third. The last two time it was replaced at no charge. This time I have to pay ~300 CDN to have it fixed (including towing)as it is not covered under warranty this time. Ford puts 1 year or 20,000 kms on the ignitions.. I have 25,000 km since the last replacement. I had two Ford Dealerships tell me this was a well known common problem. Why won't Ford put a recall on it or extend the warranty??? I was told by Ford that not enough people have complained about it!.. STUPID ANSWER... I will never buy another FORD car as long as I live.. But... I will keep my receipt incase Ford does a recall... too bad because I really like my focus!
2001 Ford Fuckit. Twice for me for ignition locks. A locksmith told me that one or more of the tumbler keys get worn and drop into the lock cylinder. Talk about junk.
Now to add to my problems with this " Canada's answer to the Yugo"" the paint on the roof of the car is cracked all over and the paint on the hood is coming off in chunks. Took it to one Ford dealer, they acknowledged that there was a manufacturing problem with the paint but Ford will do nothing about it. I now have 20 good reason to not buy another Ford product. The 1990 Ford Taurus had the same problem but that was after 11 years not 3.
What I find interesting is nowhere do you hear Ford Quality is Job 1. I believe Fords new slogan should be "theres a sucker born every minute".
I have had to have my ignition replaced three times.. today is the third. The last two time it was replaced at no charge. This time I have to pay ~300 CDN to have it fixed (including towing)as it is not covered under warranty this time. Ford puts 1 year or 20,000 kms on the ignitions.. I have 25,000 km since the last replacement. I had two Ford Dealerships tell me this was a well known common problem. Why won't Ford put a recall on it or extend the warranty??? I was told by Ford that not enough people have complained about it!.. STUPID ANSWER... I will never buy another FORD car as long as I live.. But... I will keep my receipt incase Ford does a recall... too bad because I really like my focus!
I had the same experience last summer. My 2000 Focus wagon was under Ford's extended warranty, but I got no more satisfaction from Ford than you did. It's funny your dealer would feign ignorance - this is a well documented fault.
You might wish to contact Transport Canada. I filed a complaint against Ford with them, as a first step toward having a recall ordered. If more people contact them, there's a chance Ford would be forced to address this issue.
Rob
-------------------------
"Info" wrote ...

have
stiff
you
steering
This happened twice to me. Each time we had to have the Focus towed to the dealer. This latest time it cost over $300 to get it repaired.
I've reported this problem to the US NHTSA (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov ). Please do the same.
I've posted my long term experiences with my Focus to:
http://www.core-sound.com/myfordfocus.html
Len Moskowitz Teaneck NJ (USA)
I had no problem drilling one out myself after the warranty ran out and it stuck once more. But it is not really a wear issue, simply a terrible design.
I got a new cylinder at costs, $40, because they had so recently just done it under warranty, and I did the switch in less then half an hour.
But the design is so bad, it is bound to happen repeatedly. The only way to be safe for now is to leave out the tumblers, all together.
I have a 2000 focus. Bought in July 2000, the ignition lock failed 25 months later. My Galpin Ford (San Fernando, CA) service manager said it was common problem and replaced the entire steering column under warranty.
Guess what? 25 months later (yesterday), it happened again. We'll see... I am now out of warranty.
I have told them, "hey I bought this car from you, I will buy my next car from you, but only if you treat me right and act like you care about my business!"
In article
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.yourweb.com says...

And how did he reply?
--
Property and wisdom are illusions

Not as responsive as they did the last time I threatened them.
Now that it's not under warranty, they are attempting to charge $418. I have no problem with wear and tear. But twice in 4 years is too much for something like this. They know it's a problem, a common one, they replaced the switch in the 2004. I had 2 other keys on the ring only.
I have consulted with an attorney who suggested the first course of action. File complaints, and tell them you have collected enough evidence that the problem is widespread and you will consult with an attorney.
Call Ford Consumer Relations and overwhelm them with complaints: 800-392-3673
The woman there said she would do whatever she could to make me happy. But I am not optomistic.
I also filed a report with the Feds: www.nhtsa.dot.gov
We shall see!

Or not see. All of this is much too time consuming, and the lawyer could wind up costing more than they want to charge for the repair.
The guy you want to contact spells his last name F-O-R-D. The current Ford Motor Company CEO. His first name escapes me, but if you get a little creative with Google you'll find it and a valid U.S. mailing address. It's the only way to fly. Odds are overwhelming that he'll never see your letter, but enough of his underlings, all the way down to the dealer, will be sent scurrying about like rats on a sinking ship. I've done the CEO trick twice, once to Ford and once to Chrystler for out of warranty repairs and it worked both times. Be courteous, complimentary of your Focus but for the most part but be firm.
Freddie
<...ignition lock failed 25

? Why did he replace the entire steering column? Only the lock cylinder needs to be replaced.
The dealer replaced the entire steering column because when the lock was drilled the mechanic either drilled too deep or not in the right place and screwed up the steering column. That's why the steering column was very likely replaced. To find out more about fouled Ford Focus ignition locks go to:
http://www.motorage.com/motorage/data/articlestandard/motorage/472002/38913/article.pdf
Maybe Gower might learn something today for once instead of always being a negative.
wrote
<...ignition lock failed 25

? Why did he replace the entire steering column? Only the lock cylinder needs to be replaced.

I like learning. That's why I asked.