Ford Focus Locking Steering Column - 2001

We just bought a used 2001 Ford Focus with 65K miles. The igniotion switch started to give us problems and after researching the problem I found out
that ignition cylinder failure was very common on theses cars so I replaced the cylinder.
That did not fix the problem. The switch works and I can start the car but intermittantly the switch will not lock the steering column.
When this happens the steering wheel doesn't lock, the transmission can be taken out of park and the key cannot be removed.
Do you think I have a defective lock cylinder? Could it be the key? Some other problem in the steering column?

You might have a bad shifter. Is it an automatic?
It happened to me on my 2001 with less than 36,000 miles. See this thread for more: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.ford.focus/browse_frm/thread/173abec7c2c6fd23/3b592d5f7b2bafc0
I'll have to look into that... it's so intermittent that's it's really difficult to diagnose.
wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.ford.focus/browse_frm/thread/173abec7c2c6fd23/3b592d5f7b2bafc0

That was the case for me. I could usually "fix" it by moving the car a few inches and putting it back in park. Is your an automatic?
Yes it is an automatic. It's interesting that it didn't happen all weekend. I'm wondering if I didn't have the ignition cylinder seated all the way... next time it happens I'll try you tip for moving the car a few inches. Thanks