Ford Focus central locking problems

2001 Focus 2.0 ESP. Every now and then when I'm driving the central locking will click and the passenger door locks itself. Similarly, sometimes when I plip the key to lock the car the passenger door doesn't. Any ideas why and how easy is it to fix?

-- Dave Baker

Reply to
Dave Baker

Dunno but I've got a friend with a 1999 Focus which will lock all the doors when it hits a bump. I'm guessing a broken wire, most probably in the body to door loom bit.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Sorry, I can't help you but may be worth a try on alt.autos.ford.focus?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It's usually the door lock/central locking motor (it's a combined unit) that causes this problem. The lock breaks up internally, and causes the door switch contacts to bounce about, giving the symptoms you describe. I've also had them lock/unlock randomly (even when parked and nobody near).

When you strip the door down, it's also worthwhile having a check for any chaffed wires as it can happen (I've not personally seen any with chaffed wires, but it does happen).

moray

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

It's a reasonably common problem. It seems to be either a stuffed drivers door motor that doesn't signal to the others to unlock, or loose wiring shorting to frame.

You could try a search on

- there should be lots of hits. If you want to post a question and can't be bothered with an account email me and I'll post up for you.

Reply to
Chris Street

It seems, from the FFOC forum, that central locking problems are something of a plague in the Focus models. I was rather hoping that a 4 year old 40k miles car would be fairly robust and not need tinkering with for some considerable time but apparently not. Modern cars are just too bloody complex I think.

Also I hate stripping doors down because the door card, rain seal, the clips and the plastic trim bits you have to prise out of door handles etc usually get buggered in the process.

-- Dave Baker

Reply to
Dave Baker

I mentioned my '00 Zetec had occasionaly CDL issues whereby locking with the remote would lock all the doors except the drivers which did nothing, so I had to lock the car manually with the key in the drivers door.

Annoyingly this only happens about 5% of the time, so i've yet to replace the motor in the door!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..