Gas pedal - 2000 focus

So I started getting like 0 acceleration in my car (2000 focus) and then i noticed that the gas pedal is pretty much on the floor. so i took a peek and the spring is still on but i can just pull on the pedal and it flops
around on the bar with about 3 or 4 inches of play. so how do i reset this spring? right now the spring is above the pedal and it just slides up and down the bar with the pedal. aka its offering no resistance. but i mean, i dont know how to do this. anyone have a link to a diagram of what its supposed* to look like? Oh, I also found a metal ring on the floor under the pedal. im assuming this is supposed to be ON the pedal somehow. thanks!

Looks like your cable is broken and needs to be replaced. I guess the ring is part of the cable assembly that is supposed to hold the spring.
To fix it you need to start in the engine compartment at the mounting bracket over the engine, which is how the cable is loosened. You also need to remove the trim panel under the dashboard.
It's not a big job but If you're not experienced in auto repairs I'd really suggest it's a job for a technician, or at least an experienced amateur. It could be done at home if you could find someone willing to do it there. You probably need to go to a dealer for the new cable assembly.