Low fuel light

Is the low fuel light directly linked to the gas gauge or is it a separate? I just had the fuel pump replaced and now the it takes about 90 miles for
the gauge to start dropping. It used to take about a mile. I can adjust to the gauge being late to drop, I just don't want any surprises when the light comes on.
Thanks