Oil change interval

[..]

Your misbelief doesn't make that anymore true, almost none rotates tires over here. As already stated, if you happen to take a car security training one day, ask the instructor where the better tares belong.

;)

Reply to
Michael Heiming

Except those that own Subarus, of course. Their AWD system demands uniform tread thickness. Not sure about any of the other AWD systems.

I will say this t(h)read has been interesting (sic)--I'd always assumed that the best tires would go on front. Are there any tire/car manufacturers advocating the best tires on the rear?

Semi-moot with me, as I've always strived for equal tread all the way around, mostly attainable by rotation. Really not that expensive to do--Ford dealers are advertising an oil change & rotation for about $35 + tax, DIY even cheaper...it's the balancing that gets expensive.

Reply to
Rapid Rick

Yep, I used to live there. What you say may have some truth in it somewhere? But then again you guys seem to get through tires pretty fast :-)) Gerry.

Reply to
Gerry

In message , Rapid Rick wrote

The Michelin UK site says that the best tyres should go on the back.

Ford recommend tyres are replaced long before the tread depth reaches the UK legal minimum.

As the front tyres always wear much quicker than the back not rotating tyres probably means that for the average UK motorist the tyres with the greater tread depth will be on the back for the majority of the time.

Probably double that price (in dollars) in the UK - Value Added Tax (VAT) is 17.5 percent on parts and labour.

Reply to
Alan

[..]

Thx, that's exactly what I had tried a short search about, to back up my statement, but couldn't find. I have been told that during various driver security training from the instructors.

Already bookmarked, for further discussions about the problem. ;)

Regards

Reply to
Michael Heiming

Te link is a Michelin commercial.. Curiously, it's illegal in several Northern US states for tire dealers to install a new set of winter tires only on the rear axel. After some experimentation this winter, I found the only reliable method of breaking loose the rear of my SVTFocus was to get into a turn and yank up on the parking break. Rotates beautifully. On the other hand, getting the front to push was 'n slide no problem at all. New winters all aroundd, BTW.

Reply to
SayWhat