Oil change interval

Page 4 of 4
I was just checking to see if what I have been hearing and reading is correct. I think are the victums of a scheme to sell more oil that is between the car makers and the oil giants. I am going to change to Amsoil
synthetic and do a 10,000 oil change from now on.
Wasted enough money on useless oil and filter changes.
Thanks every one for you posts.

A co-worker with a 330i BMW had his oil light come on. We added some oil (he uses synthetic, which is recommended. Ther dealer told him he can go as long as 15K miles between changes. Anyway, the inside of the engine was quite dirty with black deposits that looked like the engines of the old $100 cars I had as a teen. Goven that he always uses synthetic, I was very surprized. I opened the oil cap on my Focus and he was a amazed at how clean it is inside...almost like new with 43K miles.
Perhaps these deposits will not hurt a thing, but I will continue with 3-4K mile oil changes. For me that is only 4 times/year and an extra $10-20 over 2x/yr. Most of us actually do meet the severe use maintenance schedule. I know that I do.
So I guess it is hard to prove either way but it is cheap insurance if you err on the side of too often oil changes. Gary

Today I did an oil change on my car. The oil (5W30) and filter was 21GBP (approximately 35 dollars US). I could have paid a third more for a 'branded' oil so in the UK it's a bit more than an $20 for extra oil changes. I do a lot of commuting in very slow traffic so I tend to change oil at around 8k miles.

In the UK we have a temperate climate so we don't see the extremes of temperature seen in countries with a large land mass. This may explain why the oil change interval is longer than recommended in the US.
--
Alan

I have changed oil every 10,000 km (6,250 miles) instead of the European recomended 20,000 km (12,500 miles) interval on my 2 litre Zetec engined Focus '00. My car now has 90,000km on it and I just checked the inside of the oil fill cap and the parts of the cam and lifters that can be seen in there. It looks all clean with absolutely no sludge or deposits. The oil is coloured all right, but then its due for the 9th change now. I have always made the oil changes at the Ford garage with the 5W30 they have in the barrel there. (Not 5W20) I believe it's a semi synthetic, probably refined in Europe. I don't believe in the 300 miles intervals the american oil companies want, and I also find it hard to believe in the 30,000 or even 50,000 km intervals some german car makers use as sales points for their cars too. (With special, fully synthetic oil only, but still...) /per
Correction, should read: "I don't believe in the 3,000 miles intervals.." /per
In Spain, Ford recommends to change the oil of gasoline focus built since year 2000, every 20.000 kms. Before it was 15.000 kms. When I bought my Focus 2.0i the car dealer told me it was better to change the oil every 7.500 kms, like the cars from 80's, but when I told them that in the brochure said it was 20.000 kms, they did not answer (of course it was better, for them!)
I read a magazine some years ago, in which they sealed the engine of a Citroen ZX (80's and middle 90's car) for more than 90.000 kms, no oil changes, nothing done in the engine. They wanted to know if the car was going to break down. When they opened the engine, it was in pretty good conditions. So be sure when they say 20.000 kms, the oil can be used for at least 30.000 kms.
--
Carlos Focus [MLPEC #2]
HP ipaq 2210 + Haicom HI303 CF