Oil question

I have just purchased a one-year-old Focus 1.6 TDCi. I was assured it had had an oil change, but on checking the dipstick, I noticed that the oil was
black. I have been told by the dealer that this is normal with diesels; can anyone comment on this?
Regards and thanks in advance
Pat Macguire
"P & H Macguire" wrote...

I'd agree with the dealer.
--
gandissy

"gandissy" wrote...

You're probably right, but since the buyer will never know for sure, the cost of an oil change now offers a lot of peace of mind for a tiny incremental increase above the price just paid for the vehicle.
Craig
"Craig" wrote...

Agreed.
But if the word of the dealer is not to be trusted...
--
gandissy

:>"Craig" wrote... :>> :>> "gandissy" wrote... :>> :>>> "P & H Macguire" wrote... :>> :>>>>I have just purchased a one-year-old Focus 1.6 TDCi. I was :>>>>assured it had had an oil change, but on checking the :>>>>dipstick, I noticed that the oil was black. I have been told :>>>>by the dealer that this is normal with diesels; can anyone :>>>>comment on this? :>>>> :>>>> Regards and thanks in advance :>>>> :>>>> Pat Macguire :>> :>>> I'd agree with the dealer. :>> :>> You're probably right, but since the buyer will never know for :>> sure, the cost of an oil change now offers a lot of peace of :>> mind for a tiny incremental increase above the price just paid :>> for the vehicle. :>> :>> Craig :>> :> :>Agreed. :> :>But if the word of the dealer is not to be trusted...
Depends on whether it was the SALES department or the SERVICE department. :-)
me/2
:>wrote: :> :>:>"Craig" wrote... :>:>> :>:>> "gandissy" wrote... :>:>> :>:>>> "P & H Macguire" wrote... :>:>> :>:>>>>I have just purchased a one-year-old Focus 1.6 TDCi. I was :>:>>>>assured it had had an oil change, but on checking the :>:>>>>dipstick, I noticed that the oil was black. I have been told :>:>>>>by the dealer that this is normal with diesels; can anyone :>:>>>>comment on this? :>:>>>> :>:>>>> Regards and thanks in advance :>:>>>> :>:>>>> Pat Macguire :>:>> :>:>>> I'd agree with the dealer. :>:>> :>:>> You're probably right, but since the buyer will never know for :>:>> sure, the cost of an oil change now offers a lot of peace of :>:>> mind for a tiny incremental increase above the price just paid :>:>> for the vehicle. :>:>> :>:>> Craig :>:>> :>:> :>:>Agreed. :>:> :>:>But if the word of the dealer is not to be trusted... :> :>Depends on whether it was the SALES department or the SERVICE :>department. :-) :> :>me/2
Filter test...ignore
me/2
Yes this is normal, it does not take long after the oil is changed for it to become black on the dipstick.
I say this from experience having bought two brand new TDCi's, 1st one a 1.8 which I kept 3 years the second a 2.0 which is now a year old.
Hope this helps alleviate your concerns - Mike

Everyone should change the oil when they first buy a vehicle no matter what. Some dealers add other products to the oil that stop the vehicle from making noise and smoking.
--
Airport Shuttle
Message origin: TRAVEL.com
Airport Shuttle wrote:

Really? Evidence please.
There is no need to change the oil until the first scheduled oil change.
Jeff
---
message ---
They sell a product called ProLong in Advance Auto, Pepboys, AutoZone its a oil additive that stops a car from smoking out the tailpipe. So when you do as some suggest, change your oil 3 months, 0r 3000 miles later the car will start smoking and your warranty is now up.;) So if you buy a used car I suggest changing your oil when you buy it.
--
Airport Shuttle
Message origin:

Just curious, how were you able to determine that the engine had the wrong oil?

---
On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:45:15 +0100, "David"

Thanks for the info.

---
On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 18:33:12 +0100, David wrote:

Come on, it was a Peugeot, not a space shuttle!
--
mechanic

My last post did not post so Im guessing I can't state the name of the product. So let me try again. There is a product that cost about $30 at the auto part stores that can be added to your oil to stop oil burning from your tailpipe. So if you buy a used car and change your oil in 3 months or 3000 miles the warranty would be up in most cases before you would learn of a problem.
--
Airport Shuttle
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

I saw your last post. Here it is:
=========They sell a product called ProLong in Advance Auto, Pepboys, AutoZone its a oil additive that stops a car from smoking out the tailpipe. So when you do as some suggest, change your oil 3 months, 0r 3000 miles later the car will start smoking and your warranty is now up.;) So if you buy a used car I suggest changing your oil when you buy it. =========

Caesar Romano wrote:

Gee, what a good product!