Oil question

I have just purchased a one-year-old Focus 1.6 TDCi. I was assured it had had an oil change, but on checking the dipstick, I noticed that the oil was black. I have been told by the dealer that this is normal with diesels; can anyone comment on this?

Regards and thanks in advance

Pat Macguire

Reply to
P & H Macguire

I'd agree with the dealer.

Reply to
gandissy

You're probably right, but since the buyer will never know for sure, the cost of an oil change now offers a lot of peace of mind for a tiny incremental increase above the price just paid for the vehicle.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Agreed.

But if the word of the dealer is not to be trusted...

Reply to
gandissy

:>"Craig" wrote... :>>

:>> "gandissy" wrote... :>>

:>>> "P & H Macguire" wrote... :>>

:>>>>I have just purchased a one-year-old Focus 1.6 TDCi. I was :>>>>assured it had had an oil change, but on checking the :>>>>dipstick, I noticed that the oil was black. I have been told :>>>>by the dealer that this is normal with diesels; can anyone :>>>>comment on this? :>>>>

:>>>> Regards and thanks in advance :>>>>

:>>>> Pat Macguire :>>

:>>> I'd agree with the dealer. :>>

:>> You're probably right, but since the buyer will never know for :>> sure, the cost of an oil change now offers a lot of peace of :>> mind for a tiny incremental increase above the price just paid :>> for the vehicle. :>>

:>> Craig :>>

:>

:>Agreed. :>

:>But if the word of the dealer is not to be trusted...

Depends on whether it was the SALES department or the SERVICE department. :-)

me/2

Reply to
me/2

:>On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 16:08:40 +0100, "gandissy" :>wrote: :>

:>:>"Craig" wrote... :>:>>

:>:>> "gandissy" wrote... :>:>>

:>:>>> "P & H Macguire" wrote... :>:>>

:>:>>>>I have just purchased a one-year-old Focus 1.6 TDCi. I was :>:>>>>assured it had had an oil change, but on checking the :>:>>>>dipstick, I noticed that the oil was black. I have been told :>:>>>>by the dealer that this is normal with diesels; can anyone :>:>>>>comment on this? :>:>>>>

:>:>>>> Regards and thanks in advance :>:>>>>

:>:>>>> Pat Macguire :>:>>

:>:>>> I'd agree with the dealer. :>:>>

:>:>> You're probably right, but since the buyer will never know for :>:>> sure, the cost of an oil change now offers a lot of peace of :>:>> mind for a tiny incremental increase above the price just paid :>:>> for the vehicle. :>:>>

:>:>> Craig :>:>>

:>:>

:>:>Agreed. :>:>

:>:>But if the word of the dealer is not to be trusted... :>

:>Depends on whether it was the SALES department or the SERVICE :>department. :-) :>

:>me/2

Filter test...ignore

me/2

Reply to
me/2

Yes this is normal, it does not take long after the oil is changed for it to become black on the dipstick.

I say this from experience having bought two brand new TDCi's, 1st one a 1.8 which I kept 3 years the second a 2.0 which is now a year old.

Hope this helps alleviate your concerns - Mike

Reply to
Mike

Everyone should change the oil when they first buy a vehicle no matter what. Some dealers add other products to the oil that stop the vehicle from making noise and smoking.

Reply to
Airport Shuttle

Really? Evidence please.

There is no need to change the oil until the first scheduled oil change.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

"Airport Shuttle" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.forums.travel.com...

Agreed.

The Focus I bought had the wrong grade of oil put in at the 'service' before I bought it. A 10w-40 was used instead of the 5w-30 required by the 1.6 Zetec SE engine.

Best regards

David

David

I do not agree.

In some cases, the oil first put in the engine at manufacture may remain in the engine for up to 2 years (29,000 miles service interval in some cars) in a low mileage car, if sticking to the letter of the hand book. This is far too long.

The first few hundred miles on an engine are the most critical for long engine life and low oil consumption.

These first miles are when the most exhaust gas blow-by occurs, combined with the asperities worn off mating surfaces and the inevitable condensation as the engine cools after use creates chemical and electrolytic contamination of the oil. This cocktail is not beneficial to the engine.

I would change the oil at the first 1500 miles if bought from new.

It is a paradox that the tightening of emissions laws effectively reduces the anti-wear additives in modern oils *, and the demand for longer service intervals so the running costs are more attractive to potential buyers, are stretching the limits of lubrication technology too far.

  • Modern oils contain lower levels of phospherous (which is the reactive agent required by the zinc based additive for better anti-wear properties of oils) to protect the catalytic converters from premature failure by the poisoning of the precious metals that 'clean' exhaust gasses.

One has to use the correct oil for the engine. One should not use -for instance- a 0w-30 oil in a car made in the eighties, ( unless it was designed for it of course) as these cars engine bearing tolerances are too large for effective pressure to build up, causing failure in the hydrostatic lubrication required in the loaded bearings.

best wishes

David

David

They sell a product called ProLong in Advance Auto, Pepboys, AutoZone its a oil additive that stops a car from smoking out the tailpipe. So when you do as some suggest, change your oil 3 months, 0r 3000 miles later the car will start smoking and your warranty is now up.;) So if you buy a used car I suggest changing your oil when you buy it.

Reply to
Airport Shuttle

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 09:42:21 +0100, "David" wrote Re Re: Oil question:

Just curious, how were you able to determine that the engine had the wrong oil?

Reply to
Caesar Romano

My last post did not post so Im guessing I can't state the name of the product. So let me try again. There is a product that cost about $30 at the auto part stores that can be added to your oil to stop oil burning from your tailpipe. So if you buy a used car and change your oil in 3 months or 3000 miles the warranty would be up in most cases before you would learn of a problem.

Reply to
Airport Shuttle

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 09:16:00 -0500, Airport Shuttle wrote Re Re: Oil question:

I saw your last post. Here it is:

========== They sell a product called ProLong in Advance Auto, Pepboys, AutoZone its a oil additive that stops a car from smoking out the tailpipe. So when you do as some suggest, change your oil 3 months, 0r 3000 miles later the car will start smoking and your warranty is now up.;) So if you buy a used car I suggest changing your oil when you buy it. ==========

Reply to
Caesar Romano

This prolong?

Gee, what a good product!

Reply to
dr_jeff

Hi,

I noticed that the engine was slower to turn over, and that the fast idle was not as fast for a cold engine, and that the engine was quieter than it was compared to when I test drove the car before purchase. It was too quiet for an engine that had 60,000 miles on the original engine.

I spoke to the mechanic and asked what oil he had put in. He replied that he did not stock 5w-30 oil so used 10w-40 instead.

I can tell when the additive package is breaking down by the sound of the mechanical noises coming from the engine at different loads and engine speeds and temperatures.

best wishes

David

David

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:45:15 +0100, "David" wrote Re Re: Oil question:

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

You are welcome...

On the second Audi we bought (used), I requested to the dealer that the engine oil and filter were changed before collection.

You may know that some Audis come / came with a 1 litre 'top-up' bottle of engine oil in a pouch. Well, the bottle in our car contained the wrong oil for the engine we had. It was VW 503.00 spec, which was wrong. It should have been VW 503.01 spec.

I was concerned, so I asked the dealer what oil had been used for the lube service and he replied it was the same as the oil in the top-up bottle...

I informed him of the error, but the dealer was adamant he was correct. I contacted Audi UK and requested they clarify / educate the dealer on this issue.

I later got a call from the dealer apologising for their error, and they would replace the oils.

Back then, it was common for Audi dealers to get the info wrong.

I once was having a cam belt changed in a Peugeot, and asked the mechanic what oil he used for servicing, he said "oil is oil".... I never went there again.

Good luck out there

best wishes

David

David

Come on, it was a Peugeot, not a space shuttle!

Reply to
mechanic