Scraping noise from front suspension?!

I was driving along the road today in my 2000 SE Focus (4DR) (sent in last payment 2 days ago) and naturally, I think I have a serious problem. When I was leaving the parking lot of a grocery store and was
turning the wheel, it sounded odd. As if something was rubbing against the bottom of my car. I stopped and looked under it and nothing was there....nothing hanging down either. So I drove on home. The lane for my house has a TINY TINY TINY little bump and when I went over it at 25MPH like I have for the past 5 years, it sounded like I bottomed out. Now before you think I scraped over a speed bump.... this is NOT, I repeat NOT a speed bump. It's a little bump in the road where two different types of pavement meet. I know to slow down going over speed bumps! To continue... there was this loud grinding/rubbing/scraping noise. I pulled over and again, nothing looked out of place. No hanging exhaust, no bent/twisted metal. Any ideas? If it matters or help diagnose the problem.... for the past few weeks/months.... I've noticed this weird "knocking" type noise coming from the front right wheel area. As if the shock is coming loose.
Thanks for any/all help!
BTW, worst case scenario.... how much $$$ are we talking to fix it?
John wrote:

    I haven't had this happen with a Focus, but with my last car (1990 Sable), the splashguard inside the front right wheel well had come loose from a few of its mounting screws and started making a knocking, then later a nn awful lot of scraping noise while driving (particularly during bumps or tight turns), as it would hit the wheel, axle, or tire. Might be worth pulling the tire and taking a look around the wheel well. In my case, the car was quite old, so rather than try and re-attach the guard, we took it out.
--
Scott Thomas, snipped-for-privacy@cs.rose-hulman.edu
http://www.cs.rose-hulman.edu/~thomass /