White Smoke From Hood

Was driving home yesterday and I had some white puffy smoke from the back of the center hood (by the windshield) and a slight burning smell in the car...
opened up the hood and there a little white smoke coming from where the throttle cable attaches, not from the cable but behind it from that open area. I was only a block away from home so I pulled into my driveway and let it sit overnight... started it up today and it ran fine no burning smell... drove around the block and nothing.
Engine temp was fine and car never felt any different.
Seems ok now but I'm taking it to the mechanic tomorrow to check it out.
Anyone else have anything like this?
I'm hoping it was something like engine grease or some old oil dripping on something hot. Which reminds me, do any of you clean your engines? If so with what?
It's a US 2000 Focus 4 Door Sedan ZTS with Ztech and it's had all it's recalls done.
Thanks!
--Mike

? I was blowing fuses trying to start a hot car and they finally found a wire fused to the engine that was "misrouted". If the car was cold there was no problem starting it either. It was a 2000 Focus wagon so you might look for TSB's... Good luck. Linda

Car wasn't that hot I was only driving abou 7-8 minutes. I pulled over as soon as I noticed it and killed the enginge... few minutes later it started up no problem.

I think this means your Focus is the new Pope!
Or I could be mistaken.
Took car to mechanic... he couldn't find anything wrong and told me it was probably what I thought, some old oil or enginge grease falling on something hot...
Diagnosis: Buy a can of enginge degreaser.
I'll give it a try and tell you all know if that was it.
--Mike
may be a small animal like a mouse had nested on the warm engine when you parked then you cooked it next time you started it singed its fur before it jumped ship so to speak. there was a TV prog on in UK Life of Grime and a Rat had nested under the bonnet and got cooked