Starting problem / white smoke

Hi there, have just put everything back together after changing the cylinder head and gasket, but it won't start.

It is turning over with the starter motor and the air filter housing is filling up with white smoke, when the housing is removed and I try to start it the white smoke comes out the top of the throttle body from the inlet manifold in puffs.

Obviously the starter and the plugs are fine and fuel is getting to the plugs, but what could be causing the white smoke and why isn't it starting?

Any ideas?

Its a Cinquecento Sporting 1.1i by the way.

Reply to
ron_k

It sounds like you've got the timing of the belt or ignition wrong.

Reply to
Duncanwood

The message from "ron_k" contains these words:

It's not pinking, by any chance?

(sorry, there's other here who would understand that).

First guess is the valve timing's several teeth out. Either than or you've got the valve clearances way out.

Reply to
Guy King

The timing marks were perfectly lined up when the belt was removed and the same when the new one was put on, and its tensioned correctly with the help of a friend.

The ignition leads were reconnected in the same order as they were removed in - they were all labelled, plus they've been checked with the haynes manual.

I don't know what I've missed?

Should the white smoke be coming out the throttle body? I thought it would come out the exhaust?

Reply to
ron_k

How would I tell if that is the case?

I haven't altered the valve clearances, the engine was running fine before I 'fixed' it.

Reply to
ron_k

then why did you take it apart? As you have replaced the head did you check all the valves shut?

pound to a penny it has the timing of the camshaft wrong.

tell me again how you timed up the camshaft?

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Check you have a spark, maybe on all plugs. It could be as others say, that the valve timing is completely out. In the past I've found a little squirt of petrol direct into the cylinders may help to fire initially, when the engine runs the fuel pump will take over.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

I changed the gasket as it was seeping very slightly into cylinder no1 and I wanted to change it before it got worse. I had a spare cylinder head supplied with the car which was in good condition. When removing the cylinder head I set it to TDC on cly no1. I checked the new head before fitting it and the timing marks and the valves and camshaft all appeared to be aligned identically to the removed one. I turned the engine over by hand after fitting the new head and timing belt and the camshaft moved fine with no strange noises, I didn't check if the valves were opening/closing. Would I be best refitting the old head after having it skimmed as it works fine?

Reply to
ron_k

You've changed the head without altering the valve clearances? Side-valve, is it?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

The plugs are sparking fine and the fuel supply is fine, at first I thought it had maybe flooded as the plugs were wet and smelled strongly of fuel, but going by what people have been saying it sounds like its timing related, I'd better strip it down tomorrow and check the valve clearances etc and try again before I do any more damage.

Thanks for all advice so far.

Reply to
ron_k

Sounds like air/fuel mix vapour.

Reply to
Conor

CHeck the compression if you suspect the head, but the syptoms sound far more like you're a couple of teeth out on the cam belt timing

Reply to
Duncanwood

It's firing on an induction stroke. Which usually means you've got the plug leads wrong.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sorry to be a pest but how would I now fix the cam belt timing, I've looked in Haynes but its not helped me?

Your helps much appreciated.

Reply to
ron_k

The message from Ian Dalziel contains these words:

Quite feasible with OHC.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Duncanwood contains these words:

I'd recheck the ignition leads, too. I had similar symptoms when I got the direction of rotation of the distributor wrong in my head and had

1324 instead of 1342.
Reply to
Guy King

The autodata pictures are a lot better, try your local garage or library, unfortunately I haven't got a picture for that engine. Set the engine to TDC & make sure you're using the right marks on the camshaft sprocket.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Don't start that all over again. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

There is some 'pinking' in the car but its only from my wifes pink 'groovy chick' window sign and other 'decor' - its her car.

Reply to
ron_k

The message from "ron_k" contains these words:

So /that/'s why it's spitting and fuming.

Reply to
Guy King