X reg (2000)petrol Focus-immobilser

I have had a problem with my keyfob immobiliser whereby it seems to have lost sensitivity...to the point where I had to get closer and closer to unlock it. Now it wont unlock with the keyfob at all.... and its not the battery CR2032 3V, because its been changed and is no better. The previous battery which has been tested and was still at 3V and could deliver over an

800mA wasn't the problem. Any ideas folks?
Reply to
BigGirlsBlouse

This appears to be very common; it will eventually stop working altogether.

If you search this group's archives, you can find information on realigning the fob to the car. This didn't help me however!

I have posted here several times about leaving the fob battery out for increasingly longer periods of time. This did work for me and one other at least.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It would be interesting to note what did work for you though (rather than what didnt!). Dunno how to search archives.... I am using outlook express and tiscali newsgroup service.

Reply to
BigGirlsBlouse

"This did work for me..."

My deepest sympathies on both counts :-)

I respectfully suggest that you have a look at some of the online information regarding Usenet if it's a resource you intend to make much use of. Some snooty groups would get upset with you if you asked a question that had been answered frequently. Luckily we are above that here!

OK. Go to the Google homepage. From the dropdown "more", select "Groups". You can then search for a group. Once in the archive for that group, you can search by Subject. For example, once in the archive for alt.autos.ford.focus, searching on the phrase "key fob" revealed a thread that contained this:

"There is always confusion regarding UK v US cars. The info is only in the US manuals. Also, the procedure to make a new key start the car by realigning the PAT function is in *both* manuals, so further muddying the waters!

As I'm sure you are aware by now, to make a new key start the car you need to have at least two existing keys.

There are apparently two remote systems in use. The procedure below is for Siemens keys. I've not seen others, but apparently they exist.

Sit in the car with the doors shut. Turn the remote key from fully off to ignition on, (but not to the cranking position) four times. The door open/lights on chime will bong once. Press the door open button on the fob. Complete this procedure within 10 seconds. This should align the radio function of the system."

"I had exactly the same problem as you with my '99 LX. After the above procedure, the remote function of the key still didn't work, so I assumed the key was broken.

I needed a CR2032 battery for a remote door bell, so robbed the one from my key fob. Some weeks later I was scrapping a computer motherboard and realised it had the same battery; I put the battery in my keyfob on a whim.

Lo and behold! The remote function now works! Don't ask for an explanation; I don't have one.

That was over a year ago; it still works fine. If all else fails I would try leaving the battery out for progressively longer periods of time."

Let the group know how you get on.

HTH

Chris

Reply to